Noobie Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShawnE94SL

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in the process of starting up a 45g saltwater aquarium. The equipment I have right now is Wet/Dry Filter/12W UV and Hamilton Technology Retro (2)55w Power Compacts. I was able to locate some OldCastle sand and will be using this for my sand bed. I also plan on adding live rock. My questions are:

1-Do I need a Protein Skimmer?

2-Can I start the tank with just the sand bed, then ad LR later or should I do everything all at once.

3-Would a Fluidized Bed be usefull in a SW aquarium?

First, welcome to AA!! :smilecolros:
1. A protein skimmer is a wonderful tool for keeping high water quality. I highly suggest getting one especially if you are not going to have LR in the beginning.
2. You can start a tank with out live rock, but it is the best natural filtration you can get. You can alway get cheaper base rock and put a small quanitiy of LR in with it to save you money. The LR will "seen" the base rock. Be sure to use a fishless cycle if you are starting without the rock. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15
3. I don't think you would need a Fluidized Bed in a SW tank, could end up being a nitrate sink.

Back
Top Bottom