noobie wanna start SW tank <20Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It may make it through the cycle or not. It sounds like you might have a turkey clam. Again, they might make it through the cycle.

thx,roka.. I've found 2 more small feather worm show up on live rocks. Does these clam, snails & feather duster worm produce ammonia waste?
It's about a week now, should i start testing the water?

As far as I know, anything living thing's waste will break down to ammonia (the critters you are talking about will produce very small amounts of waste). I doubt they would produce enough to kick off a cycle. The other die0off from your rock might be enough. Was it cured LR from your LFS or did you order it online? I would definitely start testing the water.

I got them hand picked from LFS. Some LR I got from their tank where they kept fish. Does that mean cured?
I've got nitrate test kit yesterday& tried testing my water. It shows about 15ppm of nitrate. I tested 2nd time & it's about same. Is that possible?
What should i do?

I actually have started my cycle with dead shrimp with very fine sand of 2inch+ for 4 days before adding LR.

What are your ammonia and nitrIte readings? It is possible that your cycle is almost done since you had cured lr.

Really? Good news for me. Is the 15ppm of nitrate is ok for me to intro a fish? I wanna start with a gray clown or normal one.
I only bought this kit. I don't plan to buy ammonia & nitrite. LFS told me it's ok with just nitrate for my FOWLR tank. May be I'll ask them help me test ammonia before add fish.

I would check with your LFS on the ammonia and nitrItes. I would also highly suggest you getting kits that test for both. You never know if something dies and causes an ammonia spike.....

thx for advice. I also feel uncertain for my fish. I think I'll get ammonia test kit in a week.
With lance advice, I went ahead to choose a fish, 4stripe damsel. It started hiding in a narrow space between the filter & tank. I guess it's normal?

The another tank mate, feather duster is restarting to grow some hair back. What do I feed it & how to take care of that?

I never said your tank was cycled. I just said to check the ammonia and nitrIte and that by there being nitrAtes your cycle could almost be done..... I never suggested add any fish.

They filter feed out of the water column. I have corals in my tank with featherdusters so I never directly feed the dusters, they just get the phytoplankton out of the water whenever I feed the corals.

Lance M. said:
I never said your tank was cycled. I just said to check the ammonia and nitrIte and that by there being nitrAtes your cycle could almost be done..... I never suggested add any fish.

They filter feed out of the water column. I have corals in my tank with featherdusters so I never directly feed the dusters, they just get the phytoplankton out of the water whenever I feed the corals.

hehe.. :oops: Sorry, my bad, I'm too rush & wanna see a fish. no offense. I won't add anymore fish for now.
what is the 'phytoplankton' ?

Back
Top Bottom