Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It may make it through the cycle or not. It sounds like you might have a turkey clam. Again, they might make it through the cycle.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thx,roka.. I've found 2 more small feather worm show up on live rocks. Does these clam, snails & feather duster worm produce ammonia waste?
It's about a week now, should i start testing the water?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

As far as I know, anything living thing's waste will break down to ammonia (the critters you are talking about will produce very small amounts of waste). I doubt they would produce enough to kick off a cycle. The other die0off from your rock might be enough. Was it cured LR from your LFS or did you order it online? I would definitely start testing the water.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 09-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #24

I got them hand picked from LFS. Some LR I got from their tank where they kept fish. Does that mean cured?
I've got nitrate test kit yesterday& tried testing my water. It shows about 15ppm of nitrate. I tested 2nd time & it's about same. Is that possible?
What should i do?

I actually have started my cycle with dead shrimp with very fine sand of 2inch+ for 4 days before adding LR.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
What are your ammonia and nitrIte readings? It is possible that your cycle is almost done since you had cured lr.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:58 AM   #26

Really? Good news for me. Is the 15ppm of nitrate is ok for me to intro a fish? I wanna start with a gray clown or normal one.
I only bought this kit. I don't plan to buy ammonia & nitrite. LFS told me it's ok with just nitrate for my FOWLR tank. May be I'll ask them help me test ammonia before add fish.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

I would check with your LFS on the ammonia and nitrItes. I would also highly suggest you getting kits that test for both. You never know if something dies and causes an ammonia spike.....

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 09-18-2007, 10:16 PM   #28

thx for advice. I also feel uncertain for my fish. I think I'll get ammonia test kit in a week.
With lance advice, I went ahead to choose a fish, 4stripe damsel. It started hiding in a narrow space between the filter & tank. I guess it's normal?

The another tank mate, feather duster is restarting to grow some hair back. What do I feed it & how to take care of that?
Old 09-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
I never said your tank was cycled. I just said to check the ammonia and nitrIte and that by there being nitrAtes your cycle could almost be done..... I never suggested add any fish.

They filter feed out of the water column. I have corals in my tank with featherdusters so I never directly feed the dusters, they just get the phytoplankton out of the water whenever I feed the corals.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance M.
I never said your tank was cycled. I just said to check the ammonia and nitrIte and that by there being nitrAtes your cycle could almost be done..... I never suggested add any fish.

They filter feed out of the water column. I have corals in my tank with featherdusters so I never directly feed the dusters, they just get the phytoplankton out of the water whenever I feed the corals.
hehe.. Sorry, my bad, I'm too rush & wanna see a fish. no offense. I won't add anymore fish for now.
what is the 'phytoplankton' ?

Tags
20 gallon, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com