NooobIe at large

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moejoephd

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey im sssoooooo new to all of thisi just dont really know where 2 start lemme fill you in on where im at right now....im in the process of building a 100g tank, i already have the tank put 2 gether i cut the glass and siliconed it all together, i think it will work fine, im building the stand and the canopy on my free time, all solid wood hope that is going to look nice, ill try to get some pics up. As far as light goes i have a fixture with 2 t5s bout 50 watts each, i have an aquaclear 500 H.O.T and am thinking of getting an additional fluval 304. I have a aquaclear powerhead model 900 or sumthing like that (the big one) i have a heater, what else do i need. I know i still have to get some type of substrate, (its going to be a saltwater tank) and i was wondering if anyone knew if my H.O.T filter is going to be sufficent in till i get a canister to supplement it with? what am i missing what should i be thinking about and how long should i let the tank run in till i can put fish in it, i still dont really understand this whole cycling thing so if one of you pros wants to fill me in THANKS

What kind of saltwater tank are you looking to establish? FO, FOWLR, Reef?

Also, I would look into a sump instead of a filter if you plan on LR at all.

i dont know what all those letters stand for, i dont want a full reef tank (too much money) i know that im going to get some anemonies for the clowns but other that will be the only reef coral stuff in there im a nooobie

hey i just figured out how to use the question mark on the higlighted underlined red stuff!!!!! im going FO with the exception of a anemonie and just a little live rock just for caracter, i went to a fish store in AZ and some guy rick advised against live rock because if grows algae allover and you cant get rid of it without killin the rock

No offense intended to Rick, but he probably doesn't know too much about the hobby. Nothing new, you can't pay a guy $7 an hour and expect him to be a marine biologist.

I always recommend LR, and will continue to. It's a natural filter in conjunction with a DSB, and is very popular. Do a lot of reading before you start, it will save you a LOT of money.

If you havent' already, pick up a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" By Robert M. Fenner and it will surely help you on your way.

thanks for the help that guy did seem like a weirdooo but then agian he said he had 12 tanks no offense to anyone but isnt that kinda of alot of frigging tanks? lol oh well good thing i dont always listen to the first person that tells me something new, i always looking into it further, he also advised against using an undergravel filter because of the sludge that builds up underneith in about a year, and that cleaning underneith it would disrupt a running tank to much, wich i do agree with that part running a tank for a year then changin and taking the gravel out and movin everything and yea thats alot of work!!!! but i think he was trying to give me a sale's pitch twoards one of there canister filters

Well the ugf he is right on, they are a pain. However with the lr he is way off base. Most of us here go to extremes to fine the best lr for the price. He may be like my lfs, he couldn't get lr to grow for nothing. The rocks he has in his tank just look like wet dirty rocks, while they may be "lr" they have no charactor. If you really want to see some good looking rock just ask anyone here who has bought lr from liverocks.com or go to their web site and look at what they have to offer. Cool looking stuff.

Oh yea, Welcome aboard to AA. Hope we can help you to enjoy this hobby. :mrgreen:

Skip the UGF, but check out www.liverocks.com and you can see how many people on this site have used them and love the quality.

Dirty wet rocks basically describes my LFS too.

as far a decoration goes what do you guys think of this TeXas HOLeY RoCks ^ Fish Aquarium Rock stuff all on ebay? should it be considered for decoration or does it go in the colored gravel section as far as coolness btw ill check out liverocks.com and see whats up

I haven't seen the texas holey rock but if you want some good base rock then try hirock.com , they have some good stuff. I have ordered from them twice. The first time I really didn't know what I was getting and it was really too large for my tank (hammer took care of that), and now since I'm setting up the big tank I ordered some more to use as base rocks. HTH

hey i know what cycling is, yay add a wrinkle in my brain :eek: , you guys are so helpful, thanks i feel at home already, if you go to ebay and type in texas holey rock im sure you'll see what im talking about, how will i know if i have enough light for my tank? as far as most site's are telling me im way underpowered for the size tank

If you're not convinced that LR is important, pick up a few good marine books:
The Conscientious Marine Aquariast by Fenner,
and
The New Marine Aquarium.

Both basically talk about how the addition of LR in the hobby has allowed species to be kept in captivity that never survived before.
Why? Because the LR is a huge part of their environment...visually and functionally. It makes them feel secure about surroundings, gives some a place to 'nest', as well as providing ideal bio-filtration.

LR is expensive...and probably the hardest part of a FOWLR setup to stomach, cost wise.

ok i believe ya guys ill look in2 LR and ill look in2 that book also bout the 4th time i heard about it must be good lol hey BTW whats all this kudos thing about?

That is a great looking stand 8O When you go to finish it put extra coats on the top for protection against sw :wink:
definately agree about lr and the book

Welcome to AA!! Glad to have you in the forum. I will just reitterate what everyone else said. Rick is wrong...the more LR the better. It plays a very important role in biological filtration. UGF is a negative. Go with live sand on the bottom. Get a couple good books and read, read, read. Develope a plan before you start. FO, FOWLR, reef and start to put together a fish wish list. Your stand looks great, can not wait to see the finished product. Good luck and enjoy...Lando

Back
Top Bottom