Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2004, 09:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

NooobIe at large

hey im sssoooooo new to all of thisi just dont really know where 2 start lemme fill you in on where im at right now....im in the process of building a 100g tank, i already have the tank put 2 gether i cut the glass and siliconed it all together, i think it will work fine, im building the stand and the canopy on my free time, all solid wood hope that is going to look nice, ill try to get some pics up. As far as light goes i have a fixture with 2 t5s bout 50 watts each, i have an aquaclear 500 H.O.T and am thinking of getting an additional fluval 304. I have a aquaclear powerhead model 900 or sumthing like that (the big one) i have a heater, what else do i need. I know i still have to get some type of substrate, (its going to be a saltwater tank) and i was wondering if anyone knew if my H.O.T filter is going to be sufficent in till i get a canister to supplement it with? what am i missing what should i be thinking about and how long should i let the tank run in till i can put fish in it, i still dont really understand this whole cycling thing so if one of you pros wants to fill me in THANKS

1 Domino
1 lawnmower Blenny
1 YellowFish?????
3 Serpent Seastars
1 Pepermint Shrimp
1 Camel Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Huge Snail
moejoephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=15

welcome to AA.

there is an article on cycling. Its a good place to start. If you have more questions, please come back and ask. I don't know anything about the equipment you have, someone else will have to help.

btw, try not to bold your entire message. It makes it hard to read.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What kind of saltwater tank are you looking to establish? FO, FOWLR, Reef?

Also, I would look into a sump instead of a filter if you plan on LR at all.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

i dont know what all those letters stand for, i dont want a full reef tank (too much money) i know that im going to get some anemonies for the clowns but other that will be the only reef coral stuff in there im a nooobie
1 Domino
1 lawnmower Blenny
1 YellowFish?????
3 Serpent Seastars
1 Pepermint Shrimp
1 Camel Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Huge Snail
Old 07-05-2004, 10:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey i just figured out how to use the question mark on the higlighted underlined red stuff!!!!! im going FO with the exception of a anemonie and just a little live rock just for caracter, i went to a fish store in AZ and some guy rick advised against live rock because if grows algae allover and you cant get rid of it without killin the rock
1 Domino
1 lawnmower Blenny
1 YellowFish?????
3 Serpent Seastars
1 Pepermint Shrimp
1 Camel Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Huge Snail
Old 07-05-2004, 10:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

No offense intended to Rick, but he probably doesn't know too much about the hobby. Nothing new, you can't pay a guy $7 an hour and expect him to be a marine biologist.

I always recommend LR, and will continue to. It's a natural filter in conjunction with a DSB, and is very popular. Do a lot of reading before you start, it will save you a LOT of money.

If you havent' already, pick up a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" By Robert M. Fenner and it will surely help you on your way.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks for the help that guy did seem like a weirdooo but then agian he said he had 12 tanks no offense to anyone but isnt that kinda of alot of frigging tanks? lol oh well good thing i dont always listen to the first person that tells me something new, i always looking into it further, he also advised against using an undergravel filter because of the sludge that builds up underneith in about a year, and that cleaning underneith it would disrupt a running tank to much, wich i do agree with that part running a tank for a year then changin and taking the gravel out and movin everything and yea thats alot of work!!!! but i think he was trying to give me a sale's pitch twoards one of there canister filters
1 Domino
1 lawnmower Blenny
1 YellowFish?????
3 Serpent Seastars
1 Pepermint Shrimp
1 Camel Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Huge Snail
Old 07-05-2004, 11:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the ugf he is right on, they are a pain. However with the lr he is way off base. Most of us here go to extremes to fine the best lr for the price. He may be like my lfs, he couldn't get lr to grow for nothing. The rocks he has in his tank just look like wet dirty rocks, while they may be "lr" they have no charactor. If you really want to see some good looking rock just ask anyone here who has bought lr from liverocks.com or go to their web site and look at what they have to offer. Cool looking stuff.

Oh yea, Welcome aboard to AA. Hope we can help you to enjoy this hobby.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:47 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Skip the UGF, but check out www.liverocks.com and you can see how many people on this site have used them and love the quality.

Dirty wet rocks basically describes my LFS too.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Dirty wet rocks basically describes my LFS too.

Lol must be something in the water.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com