Normal amonia spike?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got my 40 lbs of LR on thursday. Friday I put in a large raw shrimp to start the cycle. on friday night the amonia was .25. Saturday it was .25. sunday was .50 today it is 1.

Is this a normal amonia spike? Is now a good time to do a partial water change? How high can I expect it to go?

Thanks!

-Matt

It could get much higher. You could get away with just the live rock and no shrimp. I've read and been told not to change your water till the amm and nitrite are at zero then change 50 percent water and then you can start stocking. I just cycled a qt and my ammonia went up to 8.0 before it finally started to come down. All I had in it was one piece of lr from the lfs. It took two weeks with no water change to completely cycle.

you will have a more thorough cycle if you do not do any water changes. Water changes just drag the process out longer.

The ammonia spiking will not kill the liverock. All the spores and other cool stuff are already trying to die off and start anew. The cycling takes care of all the dying stuff and leaves the rock for the stuff to come back to life. I don't know for sure but it might help to use Prime and maybe carbon to cut it back a little. I did.

I have heard here and there that too high ammonia levels will have a detrimental effect on live rock. If you are using cured live rock you will want to keep an eye on the ammonia. At least from what I have read on these boards.

yeah wait on the water changes because yes it does take longer and i dont think that the ammonia will have to much affect on your rock. Good luck i hope it works out.

Your favortie newb Salty!!!

when ammonia levels rise, the bacteria that eats it multiplies to meet the need. (and on down the line)

Back
Top Bottom