Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-05-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Normal Output lights with lr / macroalgae

So, the only thing I skimped on with my new fowlr set-up is lighting, since I do not plan on keeping corals of any kind.

I do have a good amount of lr. I only have 2 40watt NO lights going. One Actinic Blue, one 10,000 Kelvin daytime.

The tank gets a fair amount of INDIRECT sunlight in the room it is in - nothing drastic and never any direct sunlight.

My tank is pretty high - 110 gallon 30inches tall. Is this source of light (80watts total) going to help coraline growth at all on the lr? Will it be possible to add any macroalgae to the tank with this lighting? I'd really hate to pay a fortune for lights when I don't plan on keeping corals - but, I would like nice looking rock and have toyed with the idea of someday getting some macroalgae in the main tank, but it's not a definite.

- The Skins

SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
Just so you know....I am doin the same thing but am planning to get 4 40w NOs.
As HD they have a dual NO fixture that will run 40w bulbs for about $10, I have 3 of them in my garage and they are nice....

check my site out --> www.coppernreef.com
pearsont74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to morphviper
On the high tank I really don't think that you will get the growth you want. I have a 75g with 440 watts of lighting to get the growth I want on my rock. My rocks are beautiful.

send me an email, I might be able to help you get lights cheap.
morphviper is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, light, lights, macroalgae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com