Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-28-2003, 02:02 AM   #11
Water changes= NO
Skimmer should not be on at this point Wait about 2 weeks
10 hours is ok.. Some ppl leave their lights off all the time while cycling
YOu can start your cleaning crew as soon as ammonia and nitrite levels are at 0 and you have stable water conditions.

YOu can pull the shrimp out now if you would like.. Make sure you monitor ammonia and nitrite at least weekly.. I tested Daily while my tank was cycling so that I could plot the progress..

Old 09-29-2003, 05:30 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
For number 3, I am of the understanding from this forum, that you should not use lights at all during cycling. During the cycle there are lots of Algea foods like Nitrate and such, you could possibly have a huge algea bloom by lighting your tank during the cycle. You dont want to let algea get a foot hold on your new tank! HTH

Reefaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 12:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to tpaparazzo
Thanks..THe problems is that I get so much conflicting answers on these..SOme people say to user the lights on during the cycle to make sure anything in and on the rock stay alive and some people say turn it off for the algae bloom..Then some poeple say use a protein skimmer during cycling and then some say dont..Very confusing 8O ...I am in the cycle now, I have been leaving my lights on and I am starting to see the brown algae so should I keep the lights off..What about the critters that survived in my liverock?

THanks guys

tpaparazzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com