Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2003, 06:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to tpaparazzo
not cycling

Well I started my tank last friday...Its 75g and I purchased 50/lbs of base rock and 55lbs of live rock...It doesnt want to seem to start the cycle...I have had a little die off but not enought o start the ammonia increase..So I decided to throw 2 raw shrimp from the grocery store..Is this the right thing to do?? Should I have used two or just one??

Thanks

Tony

Old 09-26-2003, 07:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
Two will be fine, and should kick off the cycle quite well!

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 08:17 PM   #3
cj10488

It could be possible that your LR was Cured mostly and there for there was no cycle.. I noticed this in my 55gal... There was a small ammonia and nitrite spike that lasted about 12hrs.. then it was done.. I added 2 perculas and continued to monitor and still nothing... I currently have a bubble coral, Leather, 2 percula's, and a yellow-tailed Damsel along with some odd hitchhiker corals.. I monitor the levels daily and so far a month into it and nothing

Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate .02
po4 0
CA 440
Alk 3
ph 8.2

The people that I got the LR from stated that they have had cases where people order LR from them and Fully stock their tank the same day.. They advised not to do this but stated that people have without issues.. Continue to monitor your levels but just to let you know that strange things like my case can happen..

HTH,
James
Old 09-26-2003, 08:18 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I think 2 is fine for a 75. If you did not have an ammonia source to start your cycle then you probably wont see much of an ammonia increase untill you load the tank with an ammonia source.

If you used uncured live rock then you would not need the shrimp. If you used cured live rock then you probably would see very negiligable ammonia levels until an ammonia source was introduced.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 08:19 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
One would probably have done it, but I don't think you'll get in trouble with two in there...that should get the cycle going for sure.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:22 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Im gonna merge this topic with another that appears to be started by the same user.

--Hope i dont lose any posts--

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Let me ask you this dumb question..my liverock looks real good..colorful, some critters,etc...Is adding this shrimp going to absolutley kill all the good stuff on the rocks..Sorry I ahave never cycled a tank before
Old 09-27-2003, 02:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to TriggerHappy Send a message via MSN to TriggerHappy Send a message via Yahoo to TriggerHappy
what kind of test kit do you guys use to test your nitrite/nitrate. I just started a 50 gal and am gonna need a kit. The goal is it have nitrite/nitrate at 0, right?

Tank Setup
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown
BiColor Angel
P-H 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10-15ppm
Crushed Coral 60lbs
1 MaxiJet 1200 PH, 1 ZooMed PH, XP2 Filstar

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin.
TriggerHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 02:21 AM   #9
cj10488

I personally use Seachem... I would either use Seachem or Salifert..

James
Old 09-27-2003, 04:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Last couple of questions....How long should I leave the shrimp in or should i just let it rot away..i took a test and I am seeing ammonia now...(its only been a day since i added the shrimp)...My skimmer is starting to pull out alot of stuff and its starting to smell...

So

1.Should Ipull out the shrimp?

2.Should I do water changes?

3.I leave the lights on around 10 hours a day is this ok?

4.When can i get some cleaner crews to get the sand cleaned up a litte..

Not in a rush..Just kind of calculating the future here

Thanks guys

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com