not liking my aquascape :( any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Everett Adams

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a 120 gallon tank with 100 pounds base rock and just picked of 50 pounds of live rock and re stacked everything..

Really not liking how its looking any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know the photo is kind of rough took with Iphone and keeping lights off during cycle

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 187
It looks pretty even all the way across - how about adding some height difference to break it up? Maybe a low over-hang or two? Mine peaks in the middle and gets lower on the sides with lots of holes and caves.

thats to much rock, with base rock the weight is when it hasn't soaked up water so you need about 40% of the rock. that 100 lbs is going to be closer to 200lbs at minimum.

i personally would remove some of the base rock as that it completly full and not much room for anything

Well didnt know that oops lol

I will definetly take some
Base rock out thanks for the advice def learned something
New today :) thanks a lot

no problem, but doesn't it seem kind of full to you?

if you have a sump you can alway put the rock in there

Gti_Leo said:
thats to much rock, with base rock the weight is when it hasn't soaked up water so you need about 40% of the rock. that 100 lbs is going to be closer to 200lbs at minimum.

i personally would remove some of the base rock as that it completly full and not much room for anything

Wow where did you read that? I have over 200 lbs of base in my 180 but you can't have to much rock . To the op I think some stacks of rock in the front would look good and give the tank some depth.

Just do something other then building a wall. allow open swimming area that has sand bottom all over the tank. remove some of the base rock. It will allow you to make the tank look alot bigger and your fish will thank you.

Have a 120 gallon tank with 100 pounds base rock and just picked of 50 pounds of live rock and re stacked everything..

Really not liking how its looking any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I know the photo is kind of rough took with Iphone and keeping lights off during cycle

I think it would come out a lot better if you removed some rock. Have you though about maybe sloping the rock so that there is more rock at the bottom than at the tope? This slope will give you much more of a natural look as well as provide more area to plug in some corals if you end up going that route.

Also, it seems like a lot of your rock are the same size. I would consider using a hacksaw to cut some of these pieces. You can also use a chisel, screwdriver with a large bit, and/or a hammer to contour the rock. Don't be afraid to whip out some tools and work it!

Wow where did you read that? I have over 200 lbs of base in my 180 but you can't have to much rock . To the op I think some stacks of rock in the front would look good and give the tank some depth.

you actually can have to much rock and its not where did i read it its where did i do it. i bought 8 lbs of base rock and guess what it soacked up 2 gallons of water in the 5 gallon bucket i had it in. 3.5 gallons of water is around 30lbs, so that 8 lbs turned into 28 lbs or so.

aqnd you can go with to much rock, when fish can't swim and you can't find a spot for corals there is a problem. thats why 1-2lbs per gallon of "live rock" is recommended live is wet, wet= more weight, dry is dry which is just the rock itself, no water its liek a sponge soakign up water.

i personally wouldn't go over 2lbs per gallon, i'd probably go with 1.5 of live rock per.

Last edited:
Gti_Leo said:
no problem, but doesn't it seem kind of full to you?

if you have a sump you can alway put the rock in there

Yeah was thinking it was to much rock just wanted some opinions:)

restacked I like this a lot better!

opinions??

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 99
I like it. I too think it was too much in the first pic. That looks better. Before long you`ll have corals on top and wont be able to see the rock work.

Last edited:
much better :)

all the rock isn't crammed i ntehre and now there are caves and places for fish to swim in and out of and also hide

much better :)

all the rock isn't crammed i ntehre and now there are caves and places for fish to swim in and out of and also hide

Thank you so much means a lot to me I was stressing about getting it right now just have to let the lr cycle my tank :)

Thought this picture was a little better :)

Attachments

• image-1128345560.jpg
    image-1128345560.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom