Not new to aquariums - but finally starting saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tarunc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All. First things first, I would like to thank everyone on this forum. The advice is extremely valuable and I have done a lot of reading in the past few weeks..

I have been keeping freshwater aquariums since I was about 10 years old...30+ years now. I have always been petrified of starting saltwater and so I came here and started the process.

Equipment: 60 Gallon tank, Emperor 400 Hang on Filter, Top Fin 300w Heater, Koralia Evolution 1150 power head, standard flourescent lights, about 25lbs of live rock, 40lb base of crushed coral.

I started the tank a few days ago with clean ro/di water and Instant Ocean salt for 50 gallons. I also added a bottle of off the shelf Bio-Spira to get started.

Salt levels are OK...am going to get a proper testing kit in the next few days...I got some strips which were obviously a scam since they dont test for ammonia. PH, Nitrites, Alkalinity, and Nitrates all seem fine for the time being.

Much to my surprise I see 2 things clinging on to the glass--no idea what they are but very hard to take pictures of. The tank is clear, filtration is good and biowheels are working.

What I know I need: More live rock (budget constraints), better lighting, and eventually (very far down the road) a sump/wet-dry system.

I have picked the humane way to cycle the tank and will let it go for a long time to come before adding livestock to it. Once I have a 'real' test kit this weekend, I will test water and post results.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 72
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 56
Just did a water test with the API test kit. Results are PH is about 8.1, Ammonia 0, nitrites 0.25, nitrates 5+. Thoughts??ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395440895.225280.jpg

A cocktail shrimp and some instant ocean bio-spira.

Thanks. Going to wait another week and let it cycle more before adding live stock.

Also thinking LED to replace the included Fluorescent hoods... Was looking at the CURRENT USA ORBIT MARINE LED AQUARIUM FIXTURE 48"-60" - WIRELESS RAMP TIMER PRO.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom