Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Novice after advice!

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and the world of marine fish! i've kept tropical fish for a long time but have decided to take the plunge into marine fish.

My Set up is a 60litre tank currently with 3 kilos of live rock and a covering of 2" live sand.

My tank has been cycling for 3 days now and i've noticed this morning that my live rock has got some hitch hikers!

the advice im after is really what to do with them?

they are very small (maybe 3mm) light brown and resemble shrimps, there is currently about 5 of them, just want to know if they are a problem or a prise really.

I have taken a 8second video but not sure how to post it??? i can email to anyone tho if this helps.

I know i cant stock the tank for 2-3weeks but dont what this to have an impact on my tank in a bad way, as i planned to put another 3 kilos of live rock in today. But now dont know if i should hold off till i've sorted this little problem out!

any advice would be great !!!

Jimme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like probable mysis, but could be a plethora of different animals. My advice would be to not worry, add the additional liverock, and resume testing. Let your test results tell you when to add fish, not the LFS or any specific timeframe.

Welcome to AA!

Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I agree with Hn1
Sounds like mysis or even pods . Some of the things that will pop out will amaze you .. Go ahead and add your LR addtion it wont slow you down by more than a day or 2 ,,,Keep testing for your self as HN said and go from there ...
Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Your test kit will let you know when your tank is cycled. We have a great article on cycling in our SW articles.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com