Novice question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been lucky enough to get a good deal on a 55 gallon "long" acrylic tank with some salt-water supplies. I'm still starting my research to get her set up in a month or two, but I thought I saw a mention of using water straight out of the ocean in an aquarium, does this really work?

I live near Santa Cruz on the California coast. Water quality is an issue near our many creek outlets for swimmers, especially now during rainy season. But supposing I waited for calm weather and kayaked a bit off shore to collect it, could I use water from the great green Pacific?

My only possible idea for stocking is a Valentini puffer, the one with black saddles. Also called Toby? Let me know if this is not an ideal choice.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

If you go off shore then yes the water can be used and many people do but you are risking parasites and other pests along with chancing that contaminants that you can't test for may be present in the water. There's another thread similiar to this which was just discussed not long ago but I'd like to point out again that our reefs and sea life are dying at alarming rates with a lot of the blame on pollution so why risk putting your livestock in the same environment when you can make near perfect water everytime when mixing your own.

True enough. The Monterey bay is host to a relatively thriving marine ecosystem nonetheless we are surrounded by miles of dense agriculture in the Salinas and Gilroy hills.

I have well drawn water at home. Should I buy water? Buy a RODI system? Ill look around for the thread you mentioned, thanks

Here is another noob question; would a fish species native to the pacific be better suited for my "local" ocean water or does that matter at all from ocean to ocean? Say a Hawaiian fish instead of a Caribbean fish?

It can matter a lot. Depending on where you are in the ocean the salinity levels could be majoryly different. Some of the coastal waters off of Alaska can be found at 1.020 salinity along with other places near coasts while other places could be a little over 1.026. Another thing to consider is temperature of their native waters like the Catalina goby off the shores of California needs cold water unlike most other gobys. On another note I've been to the Monteray Bay Aquarium when I use to live in California and its spectacular. Have you checked the one out on fisherman's wharf in SF?

Back
Top Bottom