Now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellow Tang 2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I got my 72 bow and the stand i got today.I have the filter,water pump,lights,heater, is this all I need?I think it is so tell me if this right.Next Saturday i am going to fill the tank up with tap water and get everything running let it sit there for a day.Then do i buy my rock,sand,water?

I don't think you need to buy water. But I would get and RO/DI system instead of using tap water. But besides that Yes I would buy Sand and LR and start your Cycle.

I don't think you need to buy water. But I would get and RO/DI system instead of using tap water. But besides that Yes I would buy Sand and LR and start your Cycle.
So you are saying that I should cycle with no water?

He's saying make your own water with an RO/DI filtering system. Test your tap for phosphates sometime soon to see how much you could benefit from a system, Otherwisem the initial fill and cycling can be done with regular tap water IMO. But test the tap for phosphates to see where it is.

Where you gonna get the rock? Cured or uncured? Makes a dif on your cycling options.

But yes, Fill it with tap. No salt. Run the pumps for a while to ensure no leaks.

He's saying make your own water with an RO/DI filtering system. Test your tap for phosphates sometime soon to see how much you could benefit from a system, Otherwisem the initial fill and cycling can be done with regular tap water IMO. But test the tap for phosphates to see where it is.

Where you gonna get the rock? Cured or uncured? Makes a dif on your cycling options.

But yes, Fill it with tap. No salt. Run the pumps for a while to ensure no leaks.
I dont know if i am going to get cured or uncured live rock.i am trying to find live rock thats purple and cheap.Is decorative rock live rock?

A home RO/DI system is one of the best purchases you can make for the health of your tank and the convience of not having to lug jugs of water from the LFS to your house. Check out www.thefilterguys.biz for some great units. In additon, a good skimmer is always a nice investment for a tank. However, it does not need to be added during the cycle period and can be purchased after the initial set up (saving a bit of money in the beginning as well). And don't forget water testing equipment.

Back
Top Bottom