Nu Nu and Gboy's 66 gallon Red Sea Max build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ibrahim said:
Very good. It's the same as reefcleaners if not better.

Well the price and shipping is better!! Haha awesome, your a goldmine of good info Ibrahim. In every one of my threads you follow, you help alot. Thanks for that!

What state are you in? Im trying to judge shipping time. Were is reefrocks located?

Oh so thats pretty close to you! Lucky! Ok we will buy the rocks tonight, 50 pounds will be more then enough cuz we already have 35

reefrocks.net has some great dry rock and the price is definitely right. The guy will most likely even call you to ask what kind of scape you want to make before he ships it, but if you have specifics you can call him and he will accommodate you.

His sand is great too... real carribean argonite collected in the Bahamas, and it is FREE. He sells it for the cost of shipping (~$15 for a 40lb large priority mail box).

He ships via FEDEX home delivery, which took 4 days to Chicago. I would imagine you would have it in a couple of days.

Sorry, I know it looks like an Ad for the guy, but he does great work. My only complaint would be that he takes a few days before he ships, but it is worth the wait. I think with your 30 lbs you already have, 50lbs will be more than enough.

This is 50lbs of his rock in my 57 gal tank:
19738-albums9044-picture36115.jpg

fort384 said:
reefrocks.net has some great dry rock and the price is definitely right. The guy will most likely even call you to ask what kind of scape you want to make before he ships it, but if you have specifics you can call him and he will accommodate you.

His sand is great too... real carribean argonite collected in the Bahamas, and it is FREE. He sells it for the cost of shipping (~$15 for a 40lb large priority mail box).

He ships via FEDEX home delivery, which took 4 days to Chicago. I would imagine you would have it in a couple of days.

Sorry, I know it looks like an Ad for the guy, but he does great work. My only complaint would be that he takes a few days before he ships, but it is worth the wait. I think with your 30 lbs you already have, 50lbs will be more than enough.

This is 50lbs of his rock in my 57 gal tank:

Fort, that was exactly what i needed, thanks so much man! Ill DEFINITLY buy.

So, if this sand 15$ and i can add it to my rock purchase? Would it mix in well with my 50 lbs of PFS?

thanks for all the help, and great looking tank:)

That I can't tell you. I am new to SW and didn't even know you could use PFS in a salt tank.

The sand ships separately from the rock.

I can tell you that I didn't rinse it at all and it did not cloud my tank in the slightest and I just dumped it in with a cup. I have diatoms right now as it is a new tank so the photo doesn't do it justice but the sand is like sugar it is so fine and white.

Cool! Thanks fort and adam!

Im hoping it will mix well, im not sure if i should purchase or not. Well see, it should work.

Diatoms..hate em! We all go through it though. The sand does look good regardless.

Ok...minor bump in the road here. The PFS isnt totally white like a wanted..its a bit brown:'( should i keep it??

Oh, and it was pretty clear while inthe water bottle. I dont think well
Need to wash. It is cloudy in the pic because i shook it lol

Personally I would go for argonite. That is what the experts here recommended when I started my tank... You only got to add it once... And 2 40 lb boxes for ~$30 is well worth the cost in my mind and that would be plenty for your tank.

What brand pfs did you get? I used pfs and if you got the same brand I can show you a picture of what it looks like. I used quikrete.

Hondatek said:
What brand pfs did you get? I used pfs and if you got the same brand I can show you a picture of what it looks like. I used quikrete.

I dont think we have the same stuff:/ mine is Gillibrand specialty products, and is just called #20 pool filter sand.

Could i see a pic just in case?

Fort, i might just end up doing that! Lost 10 bucks though, lol

I would just get arag sugar fine also. Pfs is inert, so it won't mess with your ph. In this situation, you want something to raise your ph. Arag does that because it's calcium carbonate.

needmorecowbell said:
I would just get arag sugar fine also. Pfs is inert, so it won't mess with your ph. In this situation, you want something to raise your ph. Arag does that because it's calcium carbonate.

Oh i see. Bummer i already bought some! Thats okay though, ill find a use for it eventually

Ok it's not the same stuff I have then. I have used the aragonite before and the pfs is going to be darker no matter what brand . I prefer the darker sand personally. I don't have just a pic of the sand but this is what it looks like . I wouldn't worry about ph issues from using this pfs its not really an issue if you just aim a powerhead at the surface.

Hondatek said:
Ok it's not the same stuff I have then. I have used the aragonite before and the pfs is going to be darker no matter what brand . I prefer the darker sand personally. I don't have just a pic of the sand but this is what it looks like . I wouldn't worry about ph issues from using this pfs its not really an issue if you just aim a powerhead at the surface.

Yours is alot whiter than mine! Man!

If i mixed the 50 lbs of this and the 40 of argonite, how would it turn out? Would it stay mixed

If the aragonite your talking about is sugar sized grains it will eventually settle under the pfs which has bigger grains even if you put it as a top layer . So basically you would have a tank that looks like all pfs.

Hondatek said:
If the aragonite your talking about is sugar sized grains it will eventually settle under the pfs which has bigger grains even if you put it as a top layer . So basically you would have a tank that looks like all pfs.

Darn, hah i was hoping i could save it then. Ok, i think ill get the 80lbs of argonite. Not sure yet though.

Wouldnt 80 lbs make a 3" sandbed for the tank which is 38" by 21"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom