Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

O crap....

So I decided to go ahead and get the clown I've been asking about and since everyone said they all stay pretty small I went out and picked up a maroon clown.....

After I got home I starting seeing things on the web about these things getting up to 6" long .....that's a little bigger than I thought...

Has anyone seen one actually get that big?????? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's a little big for my tank.... 60 gal????

Old 01-18-2005, 11:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

c0mf0rt,

I checked your profile and I think I counted 12 fish including the maroon clown. So, like many of us you are a bit overstocked. Since most of your fish are quite small I think you will be fine for a while as long as you keep up on water maintenance.

Your tank is stocked similar to mine although a bit smaller, and I think the clown should be fine as long as it is not overly aggressive to your other fish. Maroon's have a reputation for being a bit more aggressive and in fact they can be quite mean. If you have a QT you might want to have a plan to more it if aggression becomes an issue.

As for size they can get huge. I saw one that was 8"+ at an LFS. I do not think most will exceed 6" in most aquarium environments especially if it is heavily stocked. My female is probably close to 4" after about a year.

Keep an eye on the aggression possibility.

Good luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to foma2000
i think (and i may be compleatly wrong) that clowns grow depending on how much space they are given. i have a clown in one of my very small nano tanks that has stayed smaller then 1 inch for almost 2 years wile i have a cupple in my very big tank that have grown bigger then 3 inches. i really think it depends on the space they are given
Old 01-19-2005, 12:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

About the agression, I second that. In my gallery under Lavendar is a bueatiful Tang that my Maroon bit chunks out of her. My LFS swore to me it wasn't happening that they don't bite, but I saw him do it! I had to get rid of her because of it. It would have been mean to keep her. Had her in a 55 while she recovered.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The aggression is usually caused due to territorial issues. It is good that you added the maroon clown last and based on the amount of fish you already have I assume you will not be adding any more.

My Maroons definitely have their spot in the tank and all the other fish seem to know that going in that area is at their own risk. I have actually thought about getting one of those little signs and painting it "Beware of Maroon Clowns"

Seriously, just keep an eye on the new maroon and be prepared to act if a problem does arise.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Will keep an eye on it for the aggession.... no signs yet.... like you said I think it's a good thing I added it last.... my tang gave it a couple of tail whips when it was introduced but everyone seems to be keeping to themselves now.... we'll see...

I don't mind the idea of having to take it back as bad as I do the idea of having to tear apart my tank to catch it..... I hope he works out......
Old 01-19-2005, 05:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok they made it easy on me.... I had NO problems catching both my new Maroon clown and my Yellow tang.... so back to the LFS they will go for something a little more suitable for the size tank I have....... they're in the fuge until then.....
Old 01-19-2005, 10:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

maroon clowns definitely get to 6" and above. This is why researching the EXACT species of fish, plant, coral, invert...is so important.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Maroons can be nasty. At my LFS one of the workers were getting some snails for me out of a tank when the Maroon that was in there bit her hard. Even cut her finger a bit. 8O
I'll stick to my Percs. 8)
Old 01-19-2005, 11:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

In a crammped tank aggression may become an issue. The maroons are pretty nasty. Any chance on retruning him and bringing home a perc or ocellaris? That would probably be a better choice for your tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com