Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ocean sand

I was thinking about using real ocean for my new 90gal., but aint sure where to get it from. I am going to be staying at a beach in FL., and I think i want to go out into the water say.....100ft. or so because i would like to get some good sand, and being from Oh. i dont know where the good sand is. Sounds like a silly question to me, but i need to know. Thanks

Old 05-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

You risk pollution, but the old rule of thumb used to be looking for a secluded area where there was an abundance of sea life, mainly invertebrates, and take from there. Call one of the aquariums since one probably uses a flow-through system and can tell you some of the "cleaner" areas. Why not purchase dry sand instead?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with James. Buy the dry sand and it will become live over time. I would not risk pollution problems if it was me.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
While you are down there, look for New (old) castle dry sand...I think that is the name, I heard Fl is where they get a lot of that sand. Check the local Wal Mart or HD/Lowes, they may have it in stock. Look for the aragonite sand. It's easy to tell, dump some vinegar on some sand and if if fizzles or foams pretty good, that's the stuff you want.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
... I would not risk pollution problems if it was me.
Can't agree more. With now much time/$ invested in our tanks, starting out with something that you're never really sure about is just too risky for my taste. Granted... you can "see" really bad pollution, but there's a lot you can't see too. Even if it's out XXX ft.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:52 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Skyrmir Send a message via AIM to Skyrmir
Look for a construction site. Florida isn't really a land mass, it's a coral reef. So there's almost no soil, just sand. Any time they dig for a building, they dig up fresh clean sand.

In general you want to avoid the sand within a mile or so of the beach unless you know the area well. The cities put out a lot of sewage and other pollutants that gets concentrated on the beaches. There are clean area's where they manage to keep people from polluting things, but if you're close to a port, it's a lost cause. And there's a lot of ports.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Speaking of construction sites, the main company who provides Southdown and Old Castle resides there and will sell to the public, but unfortunately in great quantity. Still worth looking into! Do a search on RC since I cannot remember the drilling company's name.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Give them a call - tell them you want it for your bushes. They will sell it to you.. but you have to shovel it yourself.. (the smallest front end loader they have carries 5 yards )
Marcona Ocean Industries
20 Avenue M
Fort Pierce, FL 34952
561-464-1836
4018 Retford Dr
Jacksonville, FL 32225
904-646-3595

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MENTION AQUARIUM USE. They will hang up on you or not sell you any.

Bag what you don't need and sell it for $10 / 40 pound bag.

Sand from the ocean not only carries the potential of pollution, it could also contain parasites that you do not want in your tank. I would not do it.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just wanderd, The lfs i go to sells sand from the ocean just full of pods, but its 4 dollars a lb. I am setting up a 90 gal., so i figured i would get a couple hundred lbs. of it right out of the ocean for free. I did not think about pollution, and parasites. Maybe i will just buy some dry sand. Thanks again
Old 05-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Are you sure the lfs is getting the sand from the ocean? Many lfs will well LS that is just sand that they maintain in their reef tanks or other special tanks with LR.

LS from the ocean can unknown pods that are harmful as well as the good pods. Checkout Pills, Parasites, and Predators; Isopods in the Reef Aquarium.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com