Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oceanic 115 drilling and plumbing questions

Hey all. So i got this tank for free. Love it so far. But i need to install a sump. I want to drill the bottom but im 5050 as to wether it is tempered. So it seems the general concensus is to drill the back. Im thinking the best option is going to be a durso standpipe. What size bulkheads should i drill for this setup? How many holes spaced how far apart (should i have a backup outtake or pretty much 2 standpipes for saftey)? I want to do a 55 gal sump beneath it if that matters. I really want to get this started and i cant fill it until its drilled so... on a side note... couldnt i start the cycle by curing the rock in a tote with a pump. Another side question. Kydor third generation pump or the equivalent gph sicce? Thank for the help. This is my 5th tank and i really want it pit together right from the start.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 10-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Don't drill the bottom. For 1 it's always tempered, but more importantly if there is an issue you'll flood the room. You'll want to get an overflow kit and drill the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you can drill the bottom, you'll want to use a Durso Standpipe and block off the rest of the tank, like it was a reef ready tank
https://www.google.com/search?q=reef...kjIQ_2_0Y-E%3D

Home - Durso Standpipes

Acrylic Overflows | Melev's Reef
Old 10-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Don't drill the bottom. For 1 it's always tempered, but more importantly if there is an issue you'll flood the room. You'll want to get an overflow kit and drill the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
This makes sense. I would definitely like to stay away from drilling the bottom. Thanks for the wuick response all. Reading all of the links everyone posted now then im sure i will have more questions. Again, i appreciate the help.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
oceanic, plumbing, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com