Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Do you think 400 is too much for a 90 gallon with stand and canopy?

Old 11-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How old is it? What kind of shape is it in?

Old 11-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #13

file attached

How do you do this, when I paste the photo, its too big, when I try attaching it, it doesn't seem to show up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90 gal tank and stand.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	62036  
Old 11-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #14

Oh, it did go through! Good. It didn't show in the preview.

Anyhow, the seller claims the tank is new. It is difficult to see well in the photo. He took it with his cell phone and sent it to my phone.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When you look at it make sure you look at the silicone and see if it is falling apart. Many tanks have a date put on them with a sticker but not all do. Is that a homemade stand/canopy? Also do you plan on hanging your lights from the ceiling or underneath the canopy?

Your sons going to be on fall break soon? Just realized you said that. I am in college as well, outside philadelphia. Same fall break.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #16

I would place my lights under the canopy. As for the stand, he said he got the setup from a "reef genius" and the guy had the stand custom built for a large sump.
I will inspect the silicone carefully, thanks for the tip. I will also look for the sticker. I hope he will give me some more background on the tank.

And yeah, my son is at Drexel. His break is short. My daughter goes to Penn State and I picked her up yesterday. She is lucky and gets the entire week off!
What school are you attending? Do you have a tank setup in your dorm?
Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep no problem. Most custom made stands are built well. See if it is sturdy and try to move it a little. If it was built for a large sump that would be beneficial if you like the way it looks.

I go to Villanova. Sadly we are not allowed to have a tank in our rooms. No animals allowed. I would definately have mine from home if I could. I wish we got the week off! Ours starts after classes end Tuesday.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #18

Thanks for your help and good luck with your classes. I will post more photos if I get the tank. I am going to see it tomorrow with my husband (I need him to come so he can help load it if we get it!!).

They won't let you have an aquarium? That is the ONLY pet Penn State allows.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah unfortunately. I plan on talking to the head of housing about that next semester.

No problem! If you have any more questions feel free to ask on here. Lots of good people and a lot of information. Also an important note, when you eventually plan on buying coral, there are a lot of local reefers (PA/NJ) who will sell cheaper frags (fragments) than most stores.

If you do not like the tank do not force yourself to buy it. There are lots of deals popping up on craigslist. I wish my parents were into this hobby!

Haha thats enough from me. Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #20

OMG what a dissapointment. I went to see the tank setup. Pictures are soooo deceiving. Would you believe the stand was missing molding, unfinished, and missing an ENTIRE side! The man didn't even HAVE the side panel. I would never be able to match the wood, it would have to be painted. He tried offering it at a lower price. Are you kidding me. The only way I'd take the thing was if it were free. I was steaming inside but politely told him it wasn't what I was looking for, thank you very much, and left.

And the tank... It was supposed to be NEW, ha! It had clear silicone and gobs of black silicone in many spots. The back AND BOTH SIDES were painted black.

Sorry to vent, hopefully no one is reading this.

I am loosing faith in man kind, how could a person so misrepresent what he is selling.

So, ... I am back to square one! I am still hunting for a tank.

Tags
90 gallon, oceanic, reef, reef ready

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com