Ocellaris Clown Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sneaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had one Ocellaris in the tank already "named Jerry" and I wanted to get him a friend after Ben died "starter fish" so I added Ben #2 and they instantly started swimming together when I added the new Ben.

Now when they swim together both of them rapidly shake there body by one another and sometimes chase eachother, they do not nip at eachother but just swim close and shake their bodies, does anyone know what this behavior means...?

Is one of these clowns larger than the other? Clownfish are born male and the domonite/larger one becomes female. If Jerry or Ben #2 are of different sizes then it could be a behavoral mating dance,

Jerry is a tad bit larger then Ben#2 but not very much, they are a funny couple... intresting to watch.

Jerry is a tad bit larger then Ben#2 but not very much

How big are the two fish as it is also possible that you introduced a female in with a female....not good :wink: . If they are still small, they may just be established their roles as mentioned above.

They are about 1 1/4 inches in length, jerry is a little taller in height.

dont' let the behavior trick you.. i thought the same.. the dance they do is sort of a threat to one another.. i'm guessing it is to test each other's strength.. i thought that mines were getting along just fine until about 2 days after i brought my second one home.. they looked like they were in a battle.. i returned the second fish.. just keep an eye on them.

Mine do all that stuff too. I had a pair then one died. I got another one and the first few days in the tank the new one was being tested by the old one. But now they are never very far from each other, they sometimes "vibrate" against each other. They seem to be getting along quite well lying around in my toadstool leather all day. There are some pics of my clowns in my photo gallery.

They are about 1 1/4 inches in length, jerry is a little taller in height.

Still very small, my guess is that they are seeking out there roles in the tank. One will become dominant and become the female, the other will remain smaller and be the male. I wouldn't worry to much unless actual fighting and injury occurs.

Back
Top Bottom