Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #11
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
I don't heat my water change water. After I do a water change, I mix up the next batch and plug in the powerhead I have at the bottom. I toss a lead on top, I don't snap it on just toss it on loose. As Ron Popeil said, set it and forget it.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 07:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by RnBMum View Post
I have only recently stocked my tank, I have 2 true perculas, orange spot goby, Cardinal, 3 peppermint shrimp, bumblebee snails, blue leg hermits, cerith snails, a small Kenya tree and a Mexican turbo.

Water is stable and everyone is happy, but I have just hit an unexpected road block. My daughter (9) is being admitted to a hospital 150 miles away for invasive testing and ultimately brain surgery for epilepsy. Of course, I'll be going with her.

My timing is always impeccable - I have been wanting to set up a marine aquarium for years - 2 weeks after I finally stock the tank, her case is suddenly put before the complex care panel. I can't make this stuff up!

Does anyone have resources that can help me quickly teach my husband and son how to care for the tank in my absence otherwise they might remember to feed them, but beyond that, I am not sure the tank will have any attention.

Would it be better for me to try and find a service to care for the tank in my absence?
I wish you and your daughter the best! In your position, I would get a 30 gallon plastic garbage can with a lid - maybe with wheels to get it out of the way if needed. I would premix your saltwater and toss in a power head and that's that.

When we went on vacation last summer, I had family take care of my pets. I was anxious about leaving but it all worked out well. I had a sw tank, paludarium, riparium, a cat and a bearded dragon to boot. Everything but the cat was foreign to them. In the fridge, I kept each tank's food in zip lock baggies with instructions written on them with a sharpie. The lizard was kinda complicated so I made a list of things specific to it and just taped it on the tank for quick reference.

I put the lighting on timers so they only needed to visit once a day and didn't need to bother with turning things on and off.

I was only gone for a few days and your situation is different because your absence will be longer. But, I wouldn't overwhelm them at first. Topping off a tank is easy to understand and so are water changes - one bucket out, one bucket in. Feed lightly so the water stays cleaner for longer - if you stress any point, it would be that one. Stick to the basics and broad strokes and they'll do fine. Best of luck!

Sadial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
That is really helpful, thank you. As the tank is only 36 gallons, basically filling a trash can with premixed water should do it.

A friend, trying to cheer me up, bought me a coral today (really a sweet thought, but I had no input). Thankfully it is still at the shop - they will hold it for me. That is honestly one of the last things I need right now (if it is even a suitable specimen for my tank).

Freshwater fish-head for more than 20 years now, but salt water newbie.

RnBMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com