Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Odd first aquarium situation

First post here

Partner and I desided to get a smallish, simple tank a while ago (about 6 weeks ago now). I could go on, but to cut the long story short the tank cycled ok with two glass catfish (lets ignore the now non-existant neon tetras, bad advice from bad pet store), they're still going strong too.

Been going to lfs, they were doing free water samples for us, seem nice enough, levels are apparently quite good now (and stable).

Anyway the tank is just over 20L (around 5.5 gallon i think, sorry i don't talk imperial). We put 4 small angelfish in, thinking it would be fine.

I found them getting mildly aggressive towards each other, no particular ones, so searched for a forum and found this, awesome. Anyway...

Some searches showed the aggression quite normal, but that our tank is way too small for this setup. It doesn't look too small - do angelfish need lots of room?

pic: http://www.clubpoint.net/fish/IMG_5878.JPG

Old 08-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #2

i have seen angel fish the size of dinner plates.

You will definately need a much bigger tank to keep them. I have 3 in a 29 gal and feel guilty. I am cycling a 40 gal right now for them.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:31 AM   #3

Oh no.....lol

Ok so are they alright at this size for the time being? Does the crowded nature cause extra aggression? Also, how fast do they normally grow? Will they grow slower if I keep them on a leaner diet?

Unfortunately (unfortunate for cost reasons), it appears I've found another hobby, so I might be looking around for a bigger tank and keeping this one for the kitchen bench area (where it is now). When they get too big I guess that's an option, not a road I was really looking to go down, but always possible I suppose.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:38 AM   #4

I'd say you have a month tops. They grow pretty fast, and even as babies, will be uncomfortable in that size tank.

Angels like tall tanks....

crowding can cause aggression.

keeping them on a leaner diet will not reduce growth, just make them more aggressive and possibly sick.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i would move them asap or trade them in for some smaller fish, like guppies =/
Old 08-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Assuming you still have the glass cats, I wouldn't house them with the angels. Glass cats are very mild mannered, and any agression toward them can easily kill them. I've not personally kept angels, but I have heard that they can get a little fiesty, if not agressive at times. Also, glass cats are schooling fish, but unlike other schooling fish (who will do ok w/o company, but do better with it), I've been told that they will eventually die off one by one. I currently have 7 in my 125 gal tank, and they love to hang out around each other. They all sit in one spot, all facing the same direction, quite a cool sight, if I could ever get a decent picture of it.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:10 AM   #6

i love my glass cats. I have 6 =)
Old 08-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #7

How are the glass cats with a smaller tank?

I've spotted a rather blank looking wall in the house I think a reasonable size tank could go well. Gotta get approval from the minister of finance etc first, haha.

That way I wouldn't mind the idea of putting the angels in the bigger tank (with something else), and putting a couple more glass cats and some neon tetras or similar in the smaller tank.

Btw I've noticed my glass cats generally sit in one corner facing a common direction, doing not much. When I feed, the angels follow my hand waitng for the food, when it hits the water all fish include the cats dive at it - one of the cats (the slightly smaller one) is a little scared of the angels by the looks of it, the other cat seems to boss them around a little which is interesting.

The angels are really interesting to watch, so much movement (which i guess is why they need a bigger tank), but i still like the cats better.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #8

that is what glass cats do. mine just sid midtank, like they are on a fishie treadmill =)
Old 08-02-2006, 10:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
The angels will get about 6 inches long each. For 4 you would need a 50 gallon tank. Sorry I don't speak metric.

I think the glass cats are going to need more room that 5.5 gallons as well.

You could get a smaller type pleco, corys and the schooling fish of your choice for the angel tank. Just avoid barbs.

Angels grow quickly so you need to upgrade as quickly as you can.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:59 AM   #10

*imagines 10 times current tank*.........crap

Maybe managable but i don't think so, a quick calculation makes me think 30 gallon would be my limit.

Can't believe the store didn't warn me, they knew the tank size. 6 inches in length makes for a much larger fish than i was expecting, obviously only little babies at the moment (2 inches long). What surprises me is the store had about 15 of them (all quite small) in what i would estimate as a 40g tank with a few other fish.

Don't think I'll be trusting the stores for fish selection anymore.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com