Odd first aquarium situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phreeky

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First post here ;)

Partner and I desided to get a smallish, simple tank a while ago (about 6 weeks ago now). I could go on, but to cut the long story short the tank cycled ok with two glass catfish (lets ignore the now non-existant neon tetras, bad advice from bad pet store), they're still going strong too.

Been going to lfs, they were doing free water samples for us, seem nice enough, levels are apparently quite good now (and stable).

Anyway the tank is just over 20L (around 5.5 gallon i think, sorry i don't talk imperial). We put 4 small angelfish in, thinking it would be fine.

I found them getting mildly aggressive towards each other, no particular ones, so searched for a forum and found this, awesome. Anyway...

Some searches showed the aggression quite normal, but that our tank is way too small for this setup. It doesn't look too small - do angelfish need lots of room?

pic: http://www.clubpoint.net/fish/IMG_5878.JPG

i have seen angel fish the size of dinner plates.

You will definately need a much bigger tank to keep them. I have 3 in a 29 gal and feel guilty. I am cycling a 40 gal right now for them.

Oh no.....lol

Ok so are they alright at this size for the time being? Does the crowded nature cause extra aggression? Also, how fast do they normally grow? Will they grow slower if I keep them on a leaner diet?

Unfortunately (unfortunate for cost reasons), it appears I've found another hobby, so I might be looking around for a bigger tank and keeping this one for the kitchen bench area (where it is now). When they get too big I guess that's an option, not a road I was really looking to go down, but always possible I suppose.

I'd say you have a month tops. They grow pretty fast, and even as babies, will be uncomfortable in that size tank.

Angels like tall tanks....

crowding can cause aggression.

keeping them on a leaner diet will not reduce growth, just make them more aggressive and possibly sick.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but i would move them asap or trade them in for some smaller fish, like guppies =/

Assuming you still have the glass cats, I wouldn't house them with the angels. Glass cats are very mild mannered, and any agression toward them can easily kill them. I've not personally kept angels, but I have heard that they can get a little fiesty, if not agressive at times. Also, glass cats are schooling fish, but unlike other schooling fish (who will do ok w/o company, but do better with it), I've been told that they will eventually die off one by one. I currently have 7 in my 125 gal tank, and they love to hang out around each other. They all sit in one spot, all facing the same direction, quite a cool sight, if I could ever get a decent picture of it.

How are the glass cats with a smaller tank?

I've spotted a rather blank looking wall in the house ;) I think a reasonable size tank could go well. Gotta get approval from the minister of finance etc first, haha.

That way I wouldn't mind the idea of putting the angels in the bigger tank (with something else), and putting a couple more glass cats and some neon tetras or similar in the smaller tank.

Btw I've noticed my glass cats generally sit in one corner facing a common direction, doing not much. When I feed, the angels follow my hand waitng for the food, when it hits the water all fish include the cats dive at it - one of the cats (the slightly smaller one) is a little scared of the angels by the looks of it, the other cat seems to boss them around a little which is interesting.

The angels are really interesting to watch, so much movement (which i guess is why they need a bigger tank), but i still like the cats better.

that is what glass cats do. mine just sid midtank, like they are on a fishie treadmill =)

The angels will get about 6 inches long each. For 4 you would need a 50 gallon tank. Sorry I don't speak metric. :)

I think the glass cats are going to need more room that 5.5 gallons as well.

You could get a smaller type pleco, corys and the schooling fish of your choice for the angel tank. Just avoid barbs.

Angels grow quickly so you need to upgrade as quickly as you can.

*imagines 10 times current tank*.........crap

Maybe managable but i don't think so, a quick calculation makes me think 30 gallon would be my limit.

Can't believe the store didn't warn me, they knew the tank size. 6 inches in length makes for a much larger fish than i was expecting, obviously only little babies at the moment (2 inches long). What surprises me is the store had about 15 of them (all quite small) in what i would estimate as a 40g tank with a few other fish.

Don't think I'll be trusting the stores for fish selection anymore.

phreeky said:
What surprises me is the store had about 15 of them (all quite small) in what i would estimate as a 40g tank with a few other fish.

i wonder about that too and my girlfriend used to ask me why we can't get more fish if the store tanks are that stocked. being relatively new to the hobby, i would guess that stores keep their tanks massively overstocked because the fish aren't in their for long. they sell them pretty fast. but still, after travelling from their respective homes in larger bodies of water, it can't be good for them.

phreeky said:

Maybe managable but i don't think so, a quick calculation makes me think 30 gallon would be my limit.

Can't believe the store didn't warn me, they knew the tank size. 6 inches in length makes for a much larger fish than i was expecting, obviously only little babies at the moment (2 inches long). What surprises me is the store had about 15 of them (all quite small) in what i would estimate as a 40g tank with a few other fish.

Don't think I'll be trusting the stores for fish selection anymore.

With a 30 you can let them all 4 grow up together, when they reach sexual maturity at about 4 inches or so, you can keep the two that pair off and return the other two to your LFS for credit. The odds are good that with 4 you will get a pair.

The LFS stocks heavily because they move a lot of fish. It is not designed as a permanent home.

*edited to resemble some form of the English language.

That way I wouldn't mind the idea of putting the angels in the bigger tank (with something else), and putting a couple more glass cats and some neon tetras or similar in the smaller tank.

I do not think that neon tetras and angles mix. I have been told that angles will eat neons.
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Good Luck
Tess

Get the biggest tank you can afford. It will be much better than the tank they are in now. I'd upgrade as soon as you can. Angels grow pretty fast. My first angel was about 4 inches tall and about 3 inches long when I first got her 8 or 9 months ago and now she is 7 inches tall and about 6 inches long....huge! They grow pretty fast, especially when they are small. If you leave them in the 5.5g tank too long it will stunt them and they could die an early death.

Glass cats are schooling, so you'll need more than a couple more to make them happy. A group of 6 or more is best. Get a 30g if thats the biggest you can afford....if you can manage a 40g, thats even better. Wait until the angels form a pair, keep that pair and return the other two. A 30g isn't a good forever home for 4 angels....the most I'd keep in there is 2.

Neons are the angels prey in the wild, so if the angels are good size and you add small neons, they may end up as snacks. Most people who keep angels and neons together successfully, put the neons in the tank first.

Get the new tank and then worry about what to add to it. Oh and don't listen to the advice from the LFS anymore. :D

you may have overlooked glass cat size as well, they get 6-7" long, dont take it for granted that a lfs will buy your fish off you for store credit as well

i never unstood why anyone would get a tank smaller than 10g when a 10g tank itself only cost $8.99

hc8719 said:
i never unstood why anyone would get a tank smaller than 10g when a 10g tank itself only cost $8.99

agree, this past weekend my girlfriend and i put togther a 10 gal for the same price as a pre-packaged 5 gal.

Back
Top Bottom