Odd question about storing live rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enolamron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently set up a 15 gallon tank and a friend gave me some live rock to get me started. He has since gave me the rest of his base live rock. The base rock was fiji which shipped dead to him and he cured it. Anyway, it's about 100lbs maybe a little more of fiji. I do not have a large tank right now but I plan on it in the future. Is there anything I need to do to store this rock for later use? I know it will need to be cured again but should I do something to it now? It is currently sitting in totes.

My fiend just was tried of the tank. He gave all the livestock and such to another friend which didn't have room for the base rock.

Well if you are going to wait a while before using the rock I would suggest storing it outside of your house as it is going to start to smell as the critters in it dies off. Washing it off in some freshwater in a couple of weeks wouldn't be a bad idea either. After that I would just keep it in a tote that has a lid in a nice safe place until you are ready to recure the rock...Nice of your friend to give it to you as that stuff isn't cheap!!

Thanks for the advice. I hope to by mid summer have a 75gal+ tank set up.

Good luck on your new tank. I'm not trying to step on your thread but I have a question. Why would the rock need to be recured?

Once LR has been out of water for a period of time everything that makes it LIVE dies and it needs to be recured at that point.

Back
Top Bottom