Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
You really do need to test the water.
I dont have the equipment to test the water, but it was done in the past coupe of days and the guy that did it said it was fine!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

OK, but a nitrite and ammonia test kit 1) doesn't cost that much, and 2) no succesful aquarium owner would be stuck without knowing what the readings are without having to rely on someone else. Things can change a lot in 2 days, belive me.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have to agree, test kits are a necessity. What about salinity and top offs? Without the basics, you're playing roulette.

I can't really tell anything from the picture. Manual removal and observation will at least tell you a few things about it. Does it changes location? Does it appear at once or seem to grow? etc.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
I have to agree, test kits are a necessity. What about salinity and top offs? Without the basics, you're playing roulette.

I can't really tell anything from the picture. Manual removal and observation will at least tell you a few things about it. Does it changes location? Does it appear at once or seem to grow? etc.

I have a line marked on my tank for topoffs and a hydrometer for salinity testing.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #15
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBell View Post
I have a line marked on my tank for topoffs and a hydrometer for salinity testing.
Cool. No offense intended, but that's better than I expected. Sorry if we may seem a bit zealous, but most of us have made the mistakes that we advise against now. I really believe that understanding your water through testing is a really important foundation towards successful aquaria husbandry.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:12 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Honestly from looking at the pic of your tank you need to do 2 things immediately..

1. Test water
2. PWC (Partial Water Change)
Old 11-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBell View Post
Well its nasty looking. How do I get rid of them?
You can superglue the tubes and that will kill the tubeworm. Really they help to keep the water clean though.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAVE853 View Post
Honestly from looking at the pic of your tank you need to do 2 things immediately..

1. Test water
2. PWC (Partial Water Change)

Why do you suggest those two things based on what my tank looks like? It would be helpful for me to know what to look for.

(I do a 10% change every sunday. Half of that is Natural sea water, half is salt mix.)
Old 11-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not the person that made the original suggestion, but I thought the same thing when I saw the pictures. The water looks really cloudy which could either be from a bacteria bloom (normally seen during cycling), or murky water to start with. If you're using sea water from the ocean, then that could be where the murkiness is coming from.

As far as the stuff on the sand, I haven't a clue. "White spiderweb-like things" normally lead me to think sponge, but I've never seen sponges lay themselves on the sand bed. Could be something that is hitchiking in with your sea water.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
I'm not the person that made the original suggestion, but I thought the same thing when I saw the pictures. The water looks really cloudy which could either be from a bacteria bloom (normally seen during cycling), or murky water to start with. If you're using sea water from the ocean, then that could be where the murkiness is coming from.
+1
Just the overall look of the water murkiness says that something is not at 100% and theres only one way of knowing which is to test the water.

Why I recommended a water change is because that will usually improve the water quality (hence maybe get rid of the murkiness).

Tags
growth, spiderweb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com