Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Odyssea t5 24w x 2 help!

I have a 20 gal live sand and rocks with a 10 gal sump. I have been in a battle with red algae. So i cheked all parameters all is good nitrate at 5 phosphate at 0 many water changer and still this problem. I bought this light because a friend said its good if i had known i would have dished out more money for a better light......i dont need people telling me they have better light or what have you i just need to know what to do.. I have been told that the stock lights are poor odyssea t5 tube 10000k daylight . Should replace the daylight for a uv light actinic white 50/50 combo if tribands and actinic phosphors, and also replace the actinic for a super actinic 420nm? Should i remove the splash gurad to allow more light to pass?
Or what combo lighting should i use?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I kept the stock odyssea lights in my 30" fixture and was able to grow corals quite well with it. I have 2 10k bulbs and 2 blue.

On my 48" old old odyssea fixture I changed out the bulbs for ATI's.

What are you trying to grow in there?
Also, I never really had any algae issues using that light bulbs combination.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

carey, be aware that there have been more then a few fires caused by the 48" old old odyssea fixture. I believe that they have corrected that problem.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

really? I LOVE it. It has individual reflectors and a kick butt timer unit on it, has 2 sets of double fans. The legs rock, They hold it way above the water.

Do you have a link to see if its the ones I have? This unit looks to be several years old.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #5

Well thanks for the reply, well i have the new odyssea that came out and they are single not double one 10k and one actinic blue that came with the fixture. I have some green polyps i got from the beach, yellow polyps these are stunted in growth, i have a green stripe shroom and mint green stripe shroom i cut up and made 4 more, same with red mushroom, star polyps, these crazy polyps that look awesome some ricordea that i cut up into two and left a foot the foot is growing individual polyps and the other growing. All of these are moderate lighting wich i think i have and are doing fine, i had xenia but dissapeared but i am going to dose iodine as soon as i get my hands on a kit...check my pictures i have my set up there i will add fotos of what it looks like now later on at night....
Old 04-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

odyssea pc 260 watt 48 inch light fixture opinions
Old 04-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post

Yep, I've read those posts but haven't seen the t5 mentioned just the pc bulbs. Unless I missed it lol Entirely possible...
Old 04-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #8

I completely opened up the fixture to clean out, and took out the reflector, i notice black spots on the reflector that were see through, i looked through it and yes it was, what i did was add aluminum the dull side to the back of the fixture to relfect all that lost light. And it seems brighter to me.. I tried posting an attacement but it would npt let me..

Tags
odyssea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com