Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well... I hit a few snags on the way - mostly I ran out of money, but I'm back on track and after selling a bit of stuff, I got the money to finish my project.

In the last four months, I've managed to pick up *almost* everything I need...

Equipment list is as follows:
120g Marineland with single corner overflow
Custom stained stand/ split canopy combo
2 Black Python EX 120w controllable LED lights
4 Koralia 1400's
800w JBJ Tru-temp heater/controller combo
Octopus Extreme 200
Eheim 1262 return pump
40g breeder sump conversion w/ fuge (in process)
Purewaterclub 150g RO/DI w/ added dual TDS Meter
85 lbs Base Rock (Reefcleaners.org)
120 lbs Caribsea Oolitic sand

There is more to purchase, I know, but the above is a list of what I have sitting and waiting on me to do something with it... The rest will be as I go.

I've managed to paint the back of the tank Krylon "True Blue" to hide the cords and whatnot... I'm still having an issue mounting my lights though... no word on what I might do yet.

The sump/fuge will be done next week - the glass shop was too backed up to finish cutting my glass before quitting time today and they're closed on the weekends <sigh>

That being said, I'm installing the RO/DI system in the morning and then to the Home Depot to pick up a few basic plumbing supplies and wood for building a not-so-fancy stand that I am going to mount the powersupplys for my lights on.

For those wondering... and ATO, controller, calcium reactor, and wavemaker are on my wish list...

My wife is tired of looking at an empty tank, so I figured I'd get some water with a couple fish in there first before I tell her I dropped another $1500 on the tank.

Pictures forthcoming as I take them.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:36 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would like to see your LEDs. Could you take some pics of equipment? Nice tank! Kid will need a re-breather or something. Did you drip acclimate him?

Old 06-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Pictures will be added later in the week... for the LEDs, see

Pasific Sun USA
Old 06-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbadd99 View Post
My wife is tired of looking at an empty tank, so I figured I'd get some water with a couple fish in there first before I tell her I dropped another $1500 on the tank.
Smart.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

You can see pictures of THAT LED on my new thread, though I didn't include any pictures from the bottom of the fixture.

When my tank was cycling one of the mods here told me to put a rubbie duckie in there is I just had to see something movig around <g>.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

The Remote Controlled Robotic Bull Shark - Hammacher Schlemmer
Fun for the kids too!
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

A rubber duckie huh? Hadn't thought of that idea, but I might steal it.

Well, since my updates on this board have been lacking, here goes...

I picked up my glass yesterday and got it installed... of course it being the first sump I've built, I measured three times, yet somehow one of my baffles still ended up being crooked - I blame my two year old distraction running around the garage with my tools...

After that, I got a rough plumbing system done - after my initial adult beverage induced epic fail - I forgot to add the securing end of the union before cementing ... whoops... of course I goofed up the finalized product during the cementing - nothing that wasn't easily fixed with a small hacksaw... (I cemented the ball valve for the return line too far left and couldn't close it all the way because it was hitting the drain line) I hacked off half the handle and it now closes with no issue.

Water test in the morning - whilst that is happening I'll be making rock supports from the leftover PVC... if all goes well, aquascaping Thursday, maybe even sand, saltwater on Friday and maybe, just maybe cycling on Saturday... we'll see... anyways, on to the pics... and no, the fuge line is not actually that low - pic was taken before it was cemented in.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:02 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice aquascape.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright... update....

After going through problem after problem with my RODI unit, I managed to get the tank filled... added sand after that and learned a hard lesson... no matter what the $%$%$# bag says, rinse the sand...

3 days AFTER adding sand...

the sump during that time...

After throwing a 100 micro filter sock, some Seachem clarify, and some Seachem stability into it... ( and a week and a half after adding sand...)

Cycled shortly thereafter with ammonia crystals obtained from my LFS... parameters have been holding nicely ever since... still trying to clean some of the residual silt off the glass in the DT and sump....

But I did pick this up today to seed my coraline algae, and hopefully get the tank kicking over the next couple days... next addition is a small CUC and pods to seed the tank and fuge...
Old 07-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Take the rock and scrape a bunch of coralline off it up by a power head, its supposed to seed your coralline like crazy. Lookin good though! I hate waiting for sand to settle, I rinse mine like 5 times and then still pour it down a PVC pipe to be sure.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, build thread, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com