OH NO!!! Cyano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well Yesterday Melissa called me and said there was some cyano on the sand. She had the nanny vacuumed it out. This morning I looked in the tank and there was more. I vacuumed it out and checked the tank water and RO/DI water for PO4 Tank registered 0 and water straight out of the RO unit was .01. I had replaced the filters 2 months ago but I went ahead and replaced them today. Am I correct in assuming this was the source? Was my tank getting rid of the PO4 by filtration and also the cyano? I also took the filter media out of the wet/dry tray and replaced them with new poly filters. Any other suggestions or comments?

While PO4 can be a contributor, it is by far from the only possible cause. You are adding more fish, the bioload is increasing, the nutrient level in the water is also increasing (whether or not this shows up on your test kits, common sense will tell you it is so), you have also changed lighting recently. This too, can be a contributing factor. Also, you tank is under a year old and still settling in. Things are getting added at a pretty rapid clip. It may be time to take a short breather and let your tank find its equilibrium.

I have not added any fish. I added some corals approx 3 weeks ago. I did replace the lighting and know have around 700 more watts. Lighting schedule is about 1/2 hour longer with the MH lights and I added 45 minutes of antic to the beginning and end of light cycle.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to read Fluff's article on cyano that is located in the articles section. You may find something useful in it.

Thanks. I had already read Fluffs article. I also cut back on feeding some just to make sure I have my bases covered. It is not a lot of cyano but just a spot. I just want to make sure it does not multiply.

How is your flow? Try directing a powerhead where the cyano is settling. Maybe that will keep it at bay.

Flow in my tank is good. I actually have a hard time finding spots for corals that do not like it. Let me see what the next few days reveal. I have no powerheads in my tank but I do have some. If flow is a issue it will be easy to check.

Back
Top Bottom