Oh! Oh! Me Next! Me Next!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkfarter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok gang. I have a 30 gallon long tank that I am getting the itch to turn into a saltwater tank. I have already crushed coral sand, marine salt, an emporer power filter, air pump, and a few rocks. I want to put 3 small fish, live rock, an anemone, and maybe another invertibrate.

I need to know what other equipment to get and even if this is a good idea for a 30 gallon tank.

Thanks for any advice! :wink:

Do you have crushed coral, or sand? they are 2 different things really. You can use the crushed coral if you keep it clean..(siphoning off the detritus). The salt, make sure it is made for SW tanks. I have seen salt for tanks and not be the right kind. Instant Ocean is what I use. If it is specifically for Marine tanks, just mix per instructions. The emporer power filter you may want to use for flow only...no media inside...You will want to get about 30 lbs of Live Rock for the filtration. You will not need the air pump. What you have is enough to get it started.

In the future you may want to get a protien skimmer and another smaller tank to make a refugium or sump. OPTIONAL

I would suggest not using the CC for the substrate and get some reef sand or if that is hard to get, use play sand...about 4inches on the bottom and then add the rock. This will be great filtration... :D

Great! Thanks for your help.

My friend and neighbor, we went out and bought each 72-gallon Oceanic Bow Tanks. He purchased a reef ready tank and I got the freshwater type since I was a novice at this and didn't win the lottery so I could afford all the goodies. After watching him setup his tank (fish, LR, etc.) I wanted one. The fish are incredible and actually have personalities. Now that I have had my 3 freshwater tanks for a couple of years now I'm ready to become a SW novice.

Thanks Again!

Thats great. SW is definatly addictive. There should be a warning on the saltwater aquariums warning people how additive it can become.

I suggest that you check out our Saltwater library at www.aquariumadvice.com/library.php There are several great reference books listed there.

Shoot I just found out our local library acutally has some of these books. I was amazed.

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check it out and the local Lib.

I hope to have photos of my tanks posted after this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom