Oil on the surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pm64971

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
I seem to develop this thick oil on the top of my water. Presently I have to mob it up with a paper towel in order to get rid of it. It very effectively blocks most of the light into the tank if I left it accumulate.
I suspect something is wrong with my tank and that's why this problem has started. However, I cannot figure out what is wrong. Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Phil

There can be 2 things causing this: lack of surface water movement and lack of surface skimming. I'm sure someone will chime in if they are aware of other causes for this. Can you give more details about your tank setup? Maybe some pics could help.

8)

A skimmer and Surface Skimming will keep it away. It also causes a lower PH because of the reduced gas exchange with a film of DOCs on the surface.

I have a protien skimmer running round the clock. I've never heard of a surface skimmer. Can somebody provide more details?

....it gets the surface of the water to fall into the skimmer. and, it makes your skimmer more effective.

BTW...it's not a symptom of anything wrong with your tank. While not good, it is simply a biproduct of your tank/filter design.

It's yet another reason why sumps are so popular. Water falls into the sump from the surface of the tank taking this oil with it.

Back
Top Bottom