Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-05-2006, 04:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to tropicfishman
ok completely new to saltwater , haven't setup yet

ok, i'm serious about plunging into saltwater, but in small steps, i'm gonna start with a 10 gallon and raise the cheapest hardiest fish possible, I might even do a 29 gallon, anywyas, can you guys give me some advice on what to get and some tips on keeping saltwater, no reef or corals just yet btw just fake ones lol thanks for any help

Old 05-05-2006, 09:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

One thing I think everyone seems to be in agreement on is, the bigger the tank, the easier it is to maintain consistant water quality. It you are considering a 29 in the future, save yourself the $$, skip the 10 and go right for the 29.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to DeathWarp
Yeah, depending on your financial situation, spending more to get started will save you a massive headache in the days to come. I'm by no means implying that you will screw up or anything, its just tougher to maintain excellent water conditions in smaller aquariums.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Personally I wouldnt get a 10g SW tank. You can only have 2in of fish (one clown ). I have a 30g and I love its size. Im currently building a 150g tank and the 30g will become the sump with LR.

You will enjoy SW much more the larger the tank.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
Actually you can fit about 2 small fish depending on what they are. But go with the thrity, trust me..you'll be a lot happier,
Old 05-06-2006, 11:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree. The start up cost btween a 10gal and a 29gal will not differ that much. Go for the biger tank. Just those extra few gallons will allow you to keep a couple more fish and some that are not possible in a 10gal tank.
Quote:
can you guys give me some advice on what to get and some tips on keeping saltwater
Research, research, research!!!

Tags
salt, saltwater, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com