Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2004, 09:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

liverocks.com

The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

How big is the tang now?

The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

He is very small...3 inches long 2 inches tall maybe? Not big at all. Should I get some salt water bio-spira and dump it in? I can have it here tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
I have never used bio-spira so on that I cannot comment. However you need to make a decision. Either return the fish until this is cycled or give it a go at the risk of the livestock. Indeed a 20 Gallon is to small for any tang. A 50 gallon is to small for a tang for that matter. Tangs require swimming room and a tank of at least 48" long is recommended. I highly suggest you return the fish until the tank has cycled. This "jackass" did what most Local stores do, and made a sale while trying to make it seem as if he was helping. The least they could do is hold the fish for you.

Not doing water changes for six weeks will indeed speed your cycle but WILL kill your fish. If you keep these fish and try to save it from here the only thing that will keep them alive is water changes. Look in the articles section above for cyclng and read up as much as you can. If you purchase more liverock from anywhere there is dieoff from being exposed to air. The longer it is out of water the more dieoff there is. With the fish in the tank this would have to cure out of the tank. A rubbermaid container with a small powerhead is a good place for this. Basically it needs to cycle as well; meaning water changes and monitoring until no ammonia can be detected.

I strongly urge you to return the fish. If not let us know so we can help with the other aspects that will arrise like mixing your water, water sources, salt mixes, filter changes, and on and on. Saltwater is IMO the most enjoyable and rewarding of the aquarium hobbies, but should be taken a step at a time. That's what we are here for I hope this helps.

Good luck I hope this helps,
Ronnie
Old 11-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree wih sumphead, I would return all of the fish to the LFS and not go back to that one again for anything. 4lbs of LR is not enouhg to provide the right amount of biological filtration in your tank. The water from a cycled tank does not really matter. It serves no purpose in filtration. Trust me, if you do not do anything your fish will die. If you plan to proceed with fish, be prepared to do 20-30% water changes very frequently to remove amonia. This will greatly slow down your cycle time. You can try bio-spira but it is not the best option. A 20 gal. tank is way to small, even for a 3 inch tang, as well is a 50 gal. I would suggest buying "The Conscienious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner to get you started. Most of the blame in this situation should fall on the LFS that gave you really bad advice. Good luck to you and please let us know what you decide and how things are going...Lando
Old 11-16-2004, 10:52 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Hopefully there are other fish stores in your area. You definitely got a bad saleperson at the very least. Return the fish and read the book Lando suggested. Also, I did not see any mention of water testing. Got a kit? I'd think your ammonia readings may help you understand more about fish loads and bacteria needed to sustain them.

I got really lucky when I bought my equipment. The rep didn't really want to sell me anything and handed me Fenner's book. Suggested I read it and come back. So, I'd agree that saving those fish - returning them, and doing some researh first will go a long way towards helping you enjoy this hobby a great deal. Otherwise you'll be headed towards a lot of grief, heartaches, and wasted money.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. At the very least, if that LFS tells you anything, give it a nite, ask the fine folks here about it, and make a decision the next day.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com