Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

OK...fw tank is no more...moved to SW and need advice

Hey guys. Cleaned out the old 20 gallon FW tank and decided to make a SW with LR and fish. I went to the lfs and he loaded me up on the sand ( agrag alive sand, 40 pounds) also bought some Live rock (about 4 pounds of it) and some other coral rock that wasnt live. Ended up gettng water from their tank that had been up and running with fish in for a while (same water the fish I got were in) and brought it all home and set it up. the tank looks pretty good and the sand settled really fast. I do think I need some more live rock, but at the prices that they want (9.00 per pound), Ill order it from somewhere.

What else do I need for this tank? The guy at the lfs said to do NO water changes for about 6 weeks and only add after evaporation. Is there anything I need to know other than what he has told me? Oh, he also gave me some crabs and shells from their crab tank. Is there anything else I need to get? How many fish can I put in this tank?

I only have a clown fish and a small yellow tang in the tank now. Anything else I need to know or do?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but Im wanting to do this one right.

Old 11-15-2004, 09:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not to be rude, but did you just set the tank up and add the tang and clown right away? If so, i believe you're tang will be dead in a few days. The clown may live through the cycle. Hopefully I missed something, but a new sw setup has to "cycle" in order for beneficial bacteria to build up to control ammonia and nitrates (which will kill fish).

Also, a 20 gal in a bit small for a tang, I'm no expert, but those 2 fish would be your limit.

Sorry, don't mean to be negative.
Jim

Old 11-15-2004, 09:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

The water was from a cycled tank as well as was the rock and such. The substrate was the only thing NOT from a cycled tank already. i just did what the lfs told me to do. I do know about cycling as i did the FW, but the guy said that the water and LR were what I needed and the fish would be good to go. hopefully, this guy wasnt a jackass and led me wrong.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I knew the 20 gallon was a bit small as well. I only wanted a few fish in this tank. I am going to get a 50 gallon shortly and will transfer them over and add more fish then.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

You did the right thing and listened to someone who should know about this stuff, but I'm afraid he was a "jackass" and led you wrong. 4 lbs of live rock is hardly any ( i understand the price thing, so online is a way better deal), but you'd need 20-30 lbs to have some good filtration going, the water means very little but the sand is a major part in housing the good bacteria. You will also (likely) need a heater and some water movement, i imagine you have somekind of filter going.

Again, i don't mean to be negative, but they gave you some bad info. The clown will likely do ok, is it eating?

Jim
Old 11-15-2004, 09:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

50 gal would be a good setup for the tang and you could then house some other fish too. Perhaps use the 20 gallon for a QT or a refugium or even a sump.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

not eating yet, but NONE of my fish ever ate the first meal here, LOL...and I am going to be gettng more live rock VERY soon. I do have the heater going as well as two Penguin filters (a 125 and a 170?) ...Where is a good place online to get some LR?
Old 11-15-2004, 09:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

As a matter of fact, they are both kind of just hiding right now, which I suppose is normal from stress. The Clown is just kind of staying in one place and swimming around while the tang does explore a bit more.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

PLEASE be sure you Cure the live rock if you order it online, even if it does say it was "cured" before it was sent. There will be die off from the shipping and it will cause ammonia buildup in your uncycled tank, it will even casue an ammonia spike in established tanks. Cure it for several weeks before you put it in your aquarium or your fish will likely die. Perahps the clown will live, and I don't mean to be harsh, but uncured live rock in a new tank that is uncycled will spell DISASTER!

Can someone else back me up, i don't want this guy to think I'm crazy, and I really want his setup to work. Lando, help me out.........
Old 11-15-2004, 09:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Where can I get it online? Also, Im thinking maybe I should get some BioSpira and put in the tank to cycle it? Any ideas?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com