ok help a newb out with an old question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_bay

Aquarium Advice Regular
.started a 75 gl fish tank with dead crushed coral on bottom on left side of tank i put a 20gl bag of live sand and on right 20 lbs live crush coral. . a week later i bought a damsel and add it to it for cycle and a small live rock.now i got brownish algae on the bottom little bit on the filter extensions and couple 2 inches spots on the back glass. i left the light off for 24 hours but it didn't help. i think i give little bit to much to eat the flakes they gave to feed the damsel. what should i do ????

You should return the damsel and buy 75-100 pounds of live rock. You have to cycle the tank. You have to have a diatom bloom, which is the brown stuff.

is it bad is good? to have that .what did i do wrong to get that diatom bloom started so ill know .if any1 can explain me pls

The diatom bloom is a normal occurrence in any new tank. It's not a bad thing, kinda like a milestone. It will burn itself out soon enough. You didn't do anything to cause the diatoms.

Since you are just starting out remember only bad things happen fast in saltwater aquariums. It sounds like a great idea to put a fish in the tank to cycle it fast until either the fish ends up stressed out and gets ich that can mean an on going issue with the disease or the better case is the fish thrives and decides it wants to be an only fish in the tank and beats up any fish that you put in. The best case is the fish only gets mildly aggressive towards your other fish and you have to take out all the rocks and things to get the fish out. I am with mr x here get rid of the damsel and cycle your tank properly.

Another thing is as your tank matures you will have all kinds of milestones with algae of all sorts maybe not all but you will have an assortment.

Back
Top Bottom