Ok, here goes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you use regular aquarium gravel in a saltwater tank?? I recently started setting up a 20 gallon long freshwater tank when my fiancee asked if I planned on doing saltwater 8O

I was like "I can do saltwater??" You know, the money issue. She's like "you can do whatever you want" 8O

Soooo, I am contemplating a saltwater setup now. I already bought a 100w heater, and an aquaclear filter. How easily(cheaply) can I get away with a saltwater conversion? How much does it take?? Do I have to get all involved in complicated things, or is there such a thing as an "easy saltwater setup?"

I see people with nano reefs, and making them in flower vases. What will I need??? Please help!

This is a question asked quite alot on here, and I think you'll find many different answers with a very similar theme. SW is MUCH more expensive to do right. My thoughts are, if you intend to be successful at it, there is no "easy saltwater setup."

You will always find people doing things that are unconventional when keeping any type of animal/s. Is it right? probably not.

I will say that 20G SW can be done, but bigger tanks will offer much more forgiveness. You will have to monitor your parameters a little more than you would with a larger tank.

If budget is very tight, I would not recommend SW personally. If budget is moderate....I say go for it. There are a few new threads in the beginning forum that will give you a good idea about costs and supplies needed.

I wouldn't say you need complicated things, but there is more to it than throwing fish in a flower vase.

Also, are you wanting a reef setup or just SW fish. Reefs are awesome, but that's where the money starts to get sucked outta your wallet. Fish only tanks are do-able, cheaper, but I still would recommend LR for biologic filtration (MUCH, MUCH more effective) over the cannister filters that a LFS would try to sell you. If you eventually expand to a reef at a later date, the cannister filter is a ticking time bomb, whereas the live rock is a must.

With all that said, I would research the following:
- Nitrogen cycle
- LR
- DSB
- Skimmers
- Sumps
- Stocking guidelines
- Coral lighting requirements
- Circulation needed

That should get you started and give you enough info to decide if spending your hard earned money on this hobby is right for you. If it excites you.....which I'm sure it will, dive on in and keep reading everything you can get your mitts on. Oh, and ask LOTS of questions before you buy ANYTHING!!!

nothing worse then learning that you bought something that isn't up to snuff, or not recommended.

Cheers, welcome to AA!!!

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom