OK I am becoming a LITTLE more educated by reading for a few hours.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlessary

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I got my tank and baught the LR and stuck it in the tank now comes the confusing part to me. I have read the articles on curing LR and cycling the tank. Maybe I am stupid but how do I know if the tank is cycling or not? When I test the water the levels will just be higher or something? I feel like an idiot asking but I am VERY new to this and don't want to mess it up.
Also I have a "hitchhiker" on my live rock I am not sure what it is and don't know what I should do about it. It is psoted in the SW&Reef ID forum. Any help there would be great as well.

(If you reply to this thread please check back everyso often I will post any new questions or comments here.)

Don't worry about asking questions, we all had the same ones as you do.
You will want to get a test kit. I like the API saltwater test kit for starters. It has your ammonia, nitrIte , nitrAte and pH tests (don't worry about the pH testing until your cycle is complete).
If you have cured LR, you may see little to no cycle.
A typical cycle will need a source of ammonia. I like to use 1 raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp per 30 Gallons. Once it starts to decay, it will produce ammonia (you can use fish food as well). The ammonia should spike and then your nitrItes should rise while the ammonia declines. Next you will see nitrAtes rise and your nitrItes decline. Once you read 0 on ammonia and nitrItes, do a PWC and your tank is cycled.

I agree. You`ll be able to tell by the rise and fall of ammonia and nitrites and at the end the rise of nitrates.

Ok I have got a Red Sea Marine Test Lab that I have been using to test the tank. In Japan finding something that is in english is not always easy. I like this one because there website is very user friendly and I could download and print the english instructions. As for the other test kits I haven't even seen them here.

Since I am new at this to be sure that the bacteria level is sufficent should i go ahead and cycle the tank anyway before I add fish?

Last edited:
Ok thank you I just tested the water these are the readings:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0.5 ppm
Nitrate - 10 ppm

Hmmm, put some fish food or the above mentioned raw shrimp in the tank and see if ammonia spikes. It's really hard to tell where folks are in their cycle without signs of ammonia....not that your situation is a bad thing, since you added LR, and it is already (possibly) converting the ammonia into nitrItes. The nitrAte reading could be from your water source...lol...sorry, it adds a little more confusion.
If you add the shrimp or food and you don't see an ammonia spike, then the LR is truly cured and you are seeing the "end" of your cycle.....if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom