Ok i just setup my tank...now i have 4000 questions lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey all,

Just got home from work....blah. Anyway, since there is a little bit of disagreement with the aquatraders, i think I will probably go with the HelloLights people. Now on that page there is a dropdown to addon a moonlight or something? What is that and do I need it?

Oh and thanks lonewolfblue for answering that!

Moonlights is only if you want a nice night-time look and be able to see some of the fish at night. They are usually blue. Some light fixtures just have some holes that you unplug, take the wire out and plug in the moonlight, and plug the moon light into the hole where the plug was. That's how my CF is set up. Has 4 moonlights. Has a switch for the main lights, a switch for the moonlights, and a switch for the fans. I have all mine set up on timers. I haven't done a SW yet, just have it all on my FW.

My fixture came with free moonlights. You just have to take the plugs out of the main fixture, pull out the little wire inside and plug it into the moonlight, and stuff the wire back behind the moonlight and plug the moonlight into the main unit. Very simple, and the fixture was inexpensive, is 260W PC, and free moonlights and leg stands to hook up to the sides of your tank so the fixture floats about 3 inches above the tank, and free bulbs in the fixture. I also bought extra bulbs, as I want to remove the actinics and put plant growth bulbs in their place. 4 65W PC's, 2 are 12000k and 2 are 6700k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ODYSSEA-48-260W...ryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

odyssea good for starter. I have injoyed mine for the price I paid. but they had ship the package of bulbs 3 times cause they keep on breaking. :( read the review i did on mine. in the review section on this fourm.

Mine came UPS, and no bulbs broken. Not even in the 6-pack of extras I ordered, they seemed to be well packed.

ok here's what i was looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7735126095&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

What do you all think? The only thing with lighting that I dont understand is why are all of them offering leg stands? I mean, how much different is the top of my aquarium going to be with the new lighting fixture? Am I not going to be able to use my hood that came with the tank? And if not, what about evaporation? Or jumping fish? Or my cat? LoL. Does anyone have a picture of how these things are mounted on a regular home aquarium? Just...a tank, with a light?

Thanks!

That's clear glass right? It doesn't look like it in the picture there that's why I am asking lol :D

The 30" is also a different brand than mine, and more expensive than my 48" one. I'm currently looking for a smaller one for my 26G that will fit in the hood. As it's a bowfront and can't find a glass top for it.

It's clear, yes. With a hinged front for feeding. And a gap in the back for filters. You just need to seal the rest of the opening with something if you have jumpers.

Ok cool, for $13.99 thats awsome...I'll go ahead and order that when I order my light. What are jumpers?

Oh and do I need a protein skimmer? What does it do, and is it required?

Lonewolfblue said:
Jumpers are fish that jump out of the tank, lol.
No protien skimmer for FW. They are only for SW.

LOL im so dumb. Im a car guy so im thinking something electrical.

Oh, with the protien skimmer question. If you have one, do you not need to change the water as often? Because that articles sort of implies that?

hey again... i have had my single shrimp in my tank now for almost a week but now there my live rock and even on the sand there is brown stuff everywhere, one of the live rocks are completely brown. Is it algae? is it normal?

The brown stuff is just algae and will dissipate once your tank has matured. I’d keep the lights off during the cycle to keep the level of algae down. Once your tank has cycled a clean up crew (hermits/snails) will knock it out.

Back
Top Bottom