Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok i just setup my tank...now i have 4000 questions lol

Hey,

I have been reading this forum for a few hours and decided it is definatly worth while to register and ask questions

Yesterday, I went to my LFS with a friend and I ended up spending $123.43 on saltwater conversion supplies when all i was doing was trying to get some freshwater fish. Go figure. Anyway, that's not the problem, it's just that now that I got all this stuff and did what the dealer told me to do, I don't know where to go.

They told me to come back in on Friday (tomorrow) for some fish. But let me first tell you what I have:

29 gal Aquarium
30 gal and 70 gal HOB filters
20 lbs live sand...thinking I may want some more...its not very much
A hydrometer that is now reading 1.025
And i put in some of this ph balancing stuff that the LFS sold me

Anyway now I am reading these forums and it sounds like I shouldn't be going back for fish tomorrow? Also, the guy at the LFS told me that in order to have all the cool reefs and moving things in the tank I would have to spend a million or so dollars for lighting. Keeping in mind I am sixteen, I didn't want to spend all that. So he said I could do a FO tank and keep my same light. But then I was reading on this forum that there is FOWLR tanks. Do I need the expensive lights for LR? What is the difference in LR and reef or corals? Or for that matter anemones and urchins. I know a lot of this may seem a little...basic but I need to learn it sometime

Anyway, I just need some (or a lot) of advice on where to go from here. Should I go back and buy the $6.99 fish that he told me they would start me off with to cycle the tank? Can I do the LR thing? Is it pretty?

Thanks so much in advance,
Kyle

Old 01-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Quote:
I went to my LFS with a friend and I ended up spending $123.43 on saltwater conversion supplies
Oh, this is just the begining. You will soon see that this is not a cheap hobby.
Quote:
They told me to come back in on Friday (tomorrow) for some fish
This is VERY bad advice. I would search out a new LFS.
Quote:
And i put in some of this ph balancing stuff that the LFS sold me
Yup, time to find another LFS.
Quote:
the guy at the LFS told me that in order to have all the cool reefs and moving things in the tank I would have to spend a million or so dollars for lighting
If you plan to keep corals you will need to have a lighting upgrade. IT will not cost your millions of dollars, but it will cost some. The types of corals you wish to keep will dictate just what type of lighting you will need to get. You do not need any special lighting for a FOWLR tank. I recommend using LR in the tank.
Quote:
What is the difference in LR and reef or corals?
A tank with LR uses the LR as biological filtration for the tank. A reef tank takes it a step further by adding corals and other inverts as well as the LR.

I am glad you are excited to jump into SW. However, this is not something that should be done on a "whim". There is a lot of reasearch that should be done prior to setting up a tank. Fromt he sounds of it, you LFS is not a good place to start. Browse this site and check out the "Articles" section at the top of the page for great info on getting started and how to do a "fishless" cycle. Read, read,, read.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey,

Thanks for the input. I think that my LFS is basically the only one really in my area that does the whole saltwater thing. But I will look into it. I suppose what I will have to do is get all my info and advice here, and just go there to get what I need. So how much would the lighting cost for the reefs and whatnot (on average)? I typed in metal halide 30" on ebay and came up with something that looked nice but was $300. That's quite a bit for me. I think I'll just have to stick to the FOWLR.

Anyway, I suppose I'll do this shrimp thing for the cycling, becuase I'll only be able to get a few pounds of LR at a time until I have as much as I want.

Again, thanks for the input!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like you definitely need to get advise here instead from LFS. Since you are starting out and will need a considerable amount of supplies I would suggest ordering from fishsupply.com, liveaquaria.com, or marinedepot.com. Their prices will be cheaper than the LFS and they offer free shipping on larger orders.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:55 PM   #5

Believe me, LFS are only out to sell you something, they usually do not care about what they sell. I work for one and it just ticks me off having to sell fish to someone that has never owned an aquairum let alone a betta fish one week after setting it up. I have watched them sell fish on day 1. It is bad advice.. I try so hard to tell them no. But I need the xtra $ and discounts. I have a boss who is out for the money and not conservation. None of the LFS here in Jax have even asked me how old or how stocked my tank is. Just point and they sell. I can't go with the idea just because they tried to sell you fish on the first day or a week after, to find another fish store, just read, have patience and learn about what you would like to acheive and enjoy taking the time to get there. Try not to ask advice from the LFS, and visit here more often and ask questions.. Believe me, it is a hurry up and wait hobby, but a highly enjoyable one.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the responses guys. So i don't need the ph balancing stuff then?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

May or may not later on. It is something you need not bother with during cycle and setup.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

is it ok if i already put it in then lol ?
Old 01-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Welcome to AA

The ph buffer shouldn’t hurt anything as long as it’s buffered for around 8.2. Just check your ph and try to keep it around that mark. You sw mix should already give you a reading of about 8.0+ If you haven’t bought a sw test kit I’d get one soon so you know when your cycle is complete. A saltwater master test kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Red Sea, or Salifert are the more popular brands, I’d avoid any “test strips” though.

mh lighting isn’t necessary for most corals and since you’re just starting out it’s going to be 6+ months before your tank is ready for them. The 30” Coralife pc lights would be sufficient for most corals you might consider.

Also if you are using tap water you would be much better off with a small ro\di unit or you can buy your ro\di water from your lfs (not sure if I’d trust them to change the filters though) or ro water from your grocery store. Tap water has tons of contaminates other than just chlorine which will adversely effect the tank, especially if you plan on keeping corals down the road.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
is it ok if i already put it in then lol ?
I would just leave it out. Ph is not important durning the cycling process, especially if you are using the fishless method. Once your tank cycles and you do a couple of water changes you will have a better hande on your Ph baseline. I would not interupt this with the buffer at this point.

Tags
setup, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com