Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
anything for my clarkiis TIA!!!
You need to do your homework. There are some natural hosting species for the clarkis you just need to decide which one you want. Keep in mind, clowns do not need a host anemone in an aquarium. Also, there is no guarentee that the clowns and anemone will actually pair. Soemtimes it is right away and sometimes it is not at all.

Old 11-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

i think i would like a nice carpet anemone, plus i thing it would make a great addition to my tank.. thanks!!

Old 11-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Carpets are nice looking anemones, but not nice anemones. They are fairly aggressive but should be okay in your tank providing your CC star doesn't find itself on top of it and becoming a snack. For this species I do suggest MH lighting and perfect water parameters. They tend to be substrate dwellers so you will need the penetration power of MH.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks alot is there any anemones you would recomend??
Old 11-11-2005, 09:35 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Again, it really depends on the type of lighting you get. A bubble tip anemone will generally do fine when provided with enough CF lighting. They are rock dwellers and have the ability to find a spot closer to the surface so light penetration is not as much of an issue. They are pretty hardy as well. I have some pics of my pink BTA in my gallery if you are interested.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonForce
For a 55 gal I would do 2 250w 10k or 14K MH.

Depending on your budget you can do it DIY or buy the fixtures.

This would put you right around 5 WPG. With that much lighting you would could have any corals you want.
This actually puts you a little over 9 WPG, on a 55 gal. tank,which IMO is a little high. I think 175 watt MH's would be a better choice or maybe even 150 watt MH's with some VHO or PC actinic supplements. I have 250 MH's on a 90 gal. tank and have to place any polyp's or mushrooms very low in the tank or they'll move down under a rock ledge to get away from the light.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:46 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

awesome!!! thanks alot!!!
Old 11-12-2005, 02:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Can you have too much wattage in a tank? I have a 60 g with a 542 w MH system, as I had running a reef tank with SPS corals /anenome/clams in mind. I always thought under 10 watts per gallon was ok. What should I be mindful of while setting this up? It's a 2 x 175w MH with 2 x 96w blue actinic cf system.

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com