OK i need more help... this time on lights...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjara03

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok i have a 55 gal and i want to be able to get like an anemone and start getting corals as well. what kind of lights do i ned? i dunno what to do!!! i try and read about it but its like another language most the time. is there like a light kit thing i can just buy??
help me please... TIA

For a 55 gal I would do 2 250w 10k or 14K MH.

Depending on your budget you can do it DIY or buy the fixtures.

This would put you right around 5 WPG. With that much lighting you would could have any corals you want.

oops i mean i have a 50 gal... can i have a little more detailed description please... thanks!!!

tjara - here is what DragonForce was talking about ... as far as lighting goes these are Creme De la Creme!

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=PF2675

Now as you can see towards the bottom of the page, the bulbs, Ballast and hanging kit are separate. I'm sure there are different sites that sell the whole package. This is just to give you an idea of what Metal Halide lighting is .... The Best! With 2 of these you could keep any coral you desire in a 50gal!

your tanks dimensions would be helpful.. I think DragonForce was thinking your tank is about 4 foot long.. If you have a cube type tank or other odd shape the advice might be a little diffent.. Just a side note.. :p

selecting MH lighting is more about lenth, with and depth of the water being lit rather then wpg IMO.

First things first...decided what tyes of corals and what species of anemone you would like to keep. This will help steer us in the right dircetion as to the type and amount of lighting you should consider.

well the corals are gonna have to be a future thing but i would just like to have an anemone for my clarkii clowns for the time being.. thanks!!

anything for my clarkiis TIA!!!
You need to do your homework. There are some natural hosting species for the clarkis you just need to decide which one you want. Keep in mind, clowns do not need a host anemone in an aquarium. Also, there is no guarentee that the clowns and anemone will actually pair. Soemtimes it is right away and sometimes it is not at all.

i think i would like a nice carpet anemone, plus i thing it would make a great addition to my tank.. thanks!!

Carpets are nice looking anemones, but not nice anemones. They are fairly aggressive but should be okay in your tank providing your CC star doesn't find itself on top of it and becoming a snack. For this species I do suggest MH lighting and perfect water parameters. They tend to be substrate dwellers so you will need the penetration power of MH.

Again, it really depends on the type of lighting you get. A bubble tip anemone will generally do fine when provided with enough CF lighting. They are rock dwellers and have the ability to find a spot closer to the surface so light penetration is not as much of an issue. They are pretty hardy as well. I have some pics of my pink BTA in my gallery if you are interested.

DragonForce said:
For a 55 gal I would do 2 250w 10k or 14K MH.

Depending on your budget you can do it DIY or buy the fixtures.

This would put you right around 5 WPG. With that much lighting you would could have any corals you want.

This actually puts you a little over 9 WPG, on a 55 gal. tank,which IMO is a little high. I think 175 watt MH's would be a better choice or maybe even 150 watt MH's with some VHO or PC actinic supplements. I have 250 MH's on a 90 gal. tank and have to place any polyp's or mushrooms very low in the tank or they'll move down under a rock ledge to get away from the light.

Can you have too much wattage in a tank? I have a 60 g with a 542 w MH system, as I had running a reef tank with SPS corals /anenome/clams in mind. I always thought under 10 watts per gallon was ok. What should I be mindful of while setting this up? It's a 2 x 175w MH with 2 x 96w blue actinic cf system.

Back
Top Bottom