Ok...it just hit me, how am I going to do this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I was just sitting down eating breakfast and thinking (yet again) about how I cant wait for my new 75 and how aweosme its going to be and how I need to learn more about useing my 29 as a sump/refugeum and it hit me... how am I going to cycle the 75 while useing the 29 to house the fish when the 29 is supposed to be the dang filter? Getting another aquarium is out of the question, and half of my fish have special value to me (got some from a very much loved person)and I dont want to have to give them to the LFS... so how am I going to do this? :?:
Thanks in advance :)

ok, as you know i am not a salty, but if the 29 is already cycled, then your filter is already cycled...right? can you not just move the sand, LR and what ever to the bigger tank?

i have done that with my fw tanks, instantly cycling using stuff from another tank...maybe that does not work with SW :?

just my too cents :D

Using the 29 for now, setup the 75 (providing it is not a drilled tank). Put your sand and some LR or whatever you are going to use for scaping. Then seed it with some of the sand and LR from the 29. Then use a few power heads to circulate the water... When the new tank has cycled and the time comes to transfer the fish, implement the 29 as your sump then?

thanks for the advice! the tank wont be drilled. This wont be for several months now, but I was just thinking about how it was going to happen!

Just make sure you have a way to get the 29 under your stand. when it is empty and you are getting ready to put the sump in.

Tote bins are awsome for this reason you could house every thing in one and then cycle with out the fish add them then clean the bin for storage or just use a bin for your fuge .When you are ready you can take a couple fish out of the 29 and add them to the tank then add the next round when it is empty either set up another nano or take it down and clean and store it ... either way be sure that you can get what ever in to your stand before the 75 is up or you will have an absolute nightmare on your hands

You can't add baffles to the 29 gal to convert it to a sump/refugium w/ fish/water in it.? :wink: You're going to need another tank/tote bin to house what you have now in while you build the sump out of the 29.

MT79 said:
You can't add baffles to the 29 gal to convert it to a sump/refugium w/ fish/water in it.? :wink:

sure you can - removable baffles! They work - I just added a baffle to my 20g sump, and it works like a charm.

Of course, you may want to remove the fish and rocks first, but hey - makes for possibilities, right? :)

I think MT is talking about getting the 75 setup with the 29 being full of fish, sand, LR and the works it will be hard to do without something to house the stuff in the 29 while you get the 75 set up. As was mentioned above a tote from wal-mart is the cheapest answer! I keep several on hand for various reasons and they work very very well for mixing SW up too!

I know - just trying to inject some humor into the situation. Seriously though, check out the pressure baffles. I just installed one and it works great. Allows for you to reposition for that new skimmer, or increase the pump return area for greater time between top-offs - you name it!

MSU Fan said:
sure you can - removable baffles! They work

While that may not solve the problem here, it could save a couple days dry time when compared to using silicone. Interesting link, thanks for sharing.

We've upgraded tanks on 2 different occassions. The first time we moved from a 29 to a 65 and the second from a 120 to a 180. We moved the animals out, removed the old tank, put in the new tank, filled it with the stuff that was already running in the previous tank and started the new tank right back up again.

If you already have a system capable of handling your current bioload then moving your existing "stuff" into the new tank should still be able to handle the same bioload. We've not had a problem doing it.

Doubt you will be able to get the 29 in the stand except from the top or from the side.

Back
Top Bottom