Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2003, 11:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Butters Send a message via AIM to Butters Send a message via MSN to Butters Send a message via Yahoo to Butters
thanks steve....ok now how will i know when my tank is cycled? when the chemical readings turn back tonormal?

currently I just have my sand in there. prolly gonna get my live rock this week. so i guess theres not a problem by just adding the rock when I am still currently cycling the tank. I figure it might take a little longer to get the "base" rock to grow the proper junk on it along with cycling the uncured LR. am i getting this right?

sorry for the newbness again.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:56 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I notice from your first post you have a sump....does the sump have an area for biological filtration? How much sand is in the tank? I'm wondering if you have enough surface are for effective nitrification. There will be plenty of ammonia produced by the shrimp, but if there is not enough surface area on your biological filter media, you may have constant nitrite problems until you add some rock which will add more media. The bacteria responsible for processing ammonia take up space, the bacteria for the nitrite akso require space....

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Butters Send a message via AIM to Butters Send a message via MSN to Butters Send a message via Yahoo to Butters
about how long will this take on average? 2-3 weeks? currently my amonia reading is = to the first lowest amonia reading color on the color bar.

last question from me til the cycle is done lol.
hopefully some day i can help with the suggestions

ps i am getting my base rock 30 lbs and uncured live rock 50 lbs for starters this week. is it ok if i just throw them in when i get them during the cycling phase?
Old 07-08-2003, 12:33 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

You should see the ammonia go up within a couple of days or sooner.

When you get the rock, you can add it to the tank, it may set the cycle back a little or it may accelerate it, it will depend on how much of the beneficial bacteria have died off the LR and base rock. When aquascaping the rock, remove at least 1/4 of the water from the tank or 1/2 (keep it standing by in a rubbermaid garbage can or tub) to allow for displacement. When you arrange your rock make sure you have a loose (but stable) aquascape that allows for good waterflow between the rocks.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:33 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have a fluval 304/sea clone 150 protein skimmer/penguin 1140 power head.
i know they arent the best but i was told the would be good for now considering my tank wasnt reef ready. also have just about 1" base of sand.

no idea about the fluval and the biological filtration though. im pretty sure it does though . am i gonna have nitrite problems?
Old 07-08-2003, 12:35 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Since you are getting the rock within a week I don't think there will be a problem

Old 07-09-2003, 04:16 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok day 2 with the shrimp in the tank and MAN does it stink!! also noticed some green stuff growing on my power jet hose from my fluval. is that good?

and how do i get rid of that smell?
the room gets to about 80 degrees when im not home (i work b shift)
the tank stays at 78 degrees constantly w/o any heaters on. could this be the reason why it stinks?

also so far in about 2 weeks ive lost about an inch of water from evaporation.

my protein skimmer hasnt picked up a thing yet either. is this normal during cycling or should it be off? also the skimmer is causing a TON of bubbles that arent going away and hugging the insides of the tank.

just hope everything is normal i am so lost
feels like im doing something wrong. i am constantly searching the forum too for my questions.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:14 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

day 3 and now my whole house stinks. i turned off my protein skimmer the whole top of the water was covered with bubbles.

got home from work bubbles are gone but the water is staring to get cloudy.

am i on the right track?
Old 07-10-2003, 06:45 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Have you got the LR yet?? I think the 3 shrimp were a bit of overkill, I think 1 shrimp would have provided enough to get the job done, but yeah, it sounds like your on the right track.

Old 07-10-2003, 08:55 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Don't worry too much about the skimmer. It won't pull much from the water to start with anyway. Seaclones, IME, are bad about putting bubbles in the tank. It'll settle down once it "breaks in" and you get it adjusted correctly.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com