Great forum first off.
I have some questions, but I'll tell you what my set up is and go from there.
- 55 galon tank, with 1 protein skimmer, 1 pump and filter, 1 powerhead.
- tap water was used (I found out after
that this is very risky! crap!) I also am not sure what exactly is in the water in terms of chlorine/chloramine or other elements.
- 4-5 inches deep of substrate (crushed shells and argonite, and 1 small bag of live sand).
- 50 lbs of base rock, and a measly 3 lbs of live rock.
- live rock was supposedly kept in darkness for about 2-3 weeks prior to me purchasing it.
- tank has been set up now for about a month and a half...the live rock has been in for about 2.5 weeks.
A couple questions.
1. Is the 3 lbs of live rock ok to begin with, and will it spread fast enough to the base rock in order to act as a filter for the water?
2. I've read that white patches on live rock isn't necessarily a bad thing (see 2nd photo near the red circle), I've developed some on mine. Green and purple algae is starting to grow on those spots...but should there be other types of growth?
3. I bought one of those paper strip test kits. So far Nitrates and Nitrites are at 0. However the water is showing to be very "hard". Is this a problem? (also, salt levels are right where they should be).
4. There is some good growth of algae, green and purple and now some string algae on the left hand live rock, but the right hand one doesn't seem to be coming as far along. Any ideas?
5. Air bubbles seem to get trapped in the algae (see second photo, red circle)...how come? Is that ok?
I guess that's it for now...my main concern is the growth of things on the live rock. Oh, and a week ago or so I had a bad brown algae spurt, but it's leveled out now. I also read this isn't a bad thing.
Thanks in advance for the help!
PS - I'll have some updated pics this coming week...my g/f took the digital camera away with her this week-end. These pics are about a week and a half old.