Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-01-2006, 03:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok people, find my flaws

Preliminary plans for my sump. Critique away!

First link is top view.
1. Should i just throw the skimmer in the sump, or will it overflow too close to the baffles?

2. If i leave it hanging, can i move the baffles closer for bigger fuge?

3. Dashed lines between fuge/return means teeth cut in to the top of the partition. Should i only cut teeth on say, 5" of it, instead of the whole length? Or should i let the water be able to flow over the whole thing?

Second link is front view.
1. Doesn't show skimmer, so i can show teeth cut in the bottom of the intake section. Hopefully bubbles rise and bubble-free water flows in to the sump.

2. Should the baffles be 12" instead? I didn't know how high to go. These are just rough numbers. I'll tweak it based on input.

Lemme know what improvements/suggestions you guys have. Thanks!

808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Not really a flaw...
You have the same design as my DIY sump. Just so you know leave as much space where the return pump is for evaporation...My setup has almost 2X as much space as you do and I run mine down to almost dry in less than 2 days.
Of course if you are building an auto-top off your totally in the clear
davebailey46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com