Ok ready to start over again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Everett Adams

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had to drain my entire tank as I made the newbie mistake of not rinsing my pool filter sand and could not get my water to clear up.

I have drained the whole tank and plan on rinsing the bejezus out of the sand tomorrow.

Any advice on adding the sand to the tank tomorrow. Should I have my water half way up with base rock on the aquarium floor and then add sand around it??

any advice on adding the sand so it doesn't murk the water up so much?

any advice would be very appreciated.

I'm not a saltwater guy just I'm sorry I can't help. But you don't have to "bump" threads. Maybe a little patience? The members here are very knowledgeable and always willing to help out. TRUST ME, someone will chime in and help.

The tank will get murky no matter what. What I did, and I didn't really rinse the sand because it's about the finest grain I could find and i was losing some when I tried to rinse, was lay my sand down in the tank. Then I covered the bottom with seran wrap. I then put a dinner plate facing up in the middle and poured my water onto the plate. The plate made the water splash around and hit the seran wrap in different areas instead of in one area. After I was half way up, I removed the plate and the wrap. The water was still pretty much clear. I then placed my base rock and tried to bury it into the sand as close to the bottom glass as I could get. This ofcourse stirred up some sand and dust but it was minimal. I then filled the rest making sure I was hitting rock with the falling water. Then I set the rest of my rock and within 2-4 hours my tank was pretty clear. It's worked twice for me so far.

Try this, Sand first and use a plate or something to pour the water slowly onto and it should help do the trick until you water level reaches high enough to pour more into it! Good Luck!

Try this, Sand first and use a plate or something to pour the water slowly onto and it should help do the trick until you water level reaches high enough to pour more into it! Good Luck!

Yes try this. I didn't rinse my PFS at all and I didn't get any cloudiness whatsoever when I filled my tank like the above. Are you sure it's pool filter sand?

Back
Top Bottom