Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok so what's next?

Ok so i have some ugly brown algae/cyano lookin stuff growing in my refugium, and since I just got my lights for my main tank, before I start turning them on all the time, i wanna get this problem taken care of...and start getting ready for some fish. I went to the LFS and the guy there gave me some POLY OXY from Kent...hopefully that takes care of my crap in my refugium... So what do I need to do to get the rest of my tank ready for some fish/inverts...

I have a 90 gal + 10gal refugium with cheato & some other red macro
100lbs live rock
0 ammonia
20 nitrate
0 nitrite

Oh and I almost forgot...I tested my RO for po4...it's zero, but in my tank...I accidently tested it first and it was about 1.5 ppm PO4 is that normal to have it in your tank, but not in your water?

Old 04-03-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Trying to figure how the nitrates are up like that. Wonder if it's a normal thing after cycling. How'd you do that and when did it finish? I tend to stay away from additives and try to look for the more natural cures or prevention.

I believe brown stuff - diatoms, are normal in a new tank. Lights on in the fuge 24/7? What kinda flow you got going thru the fuge? 1 to 2x turnover? Under tank fuge or HOB?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
PO4 levels above 0.3 are not good. YOu need to get your PO4 levels to 0.3 or less and you shoudl see soem dramatic changes. Get some of the PO$ remover and tun it in a reactor or in your filter.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I didn't watch my cycle in my fish tank, I had it in a big rubermaid for about two weeks and i would do big water changes often in it. Then I moved it into my tank, i guess so it could have some sand companionship....and I waited about another four weeks and then did a few tests. I have an underneath sump with a few macro algae in it. I'm not 100% what the flow in my tank is, when I bought the sump the guy at the LFS helped me pick one out, I just remember it being somewhere between 1 to 2x's what my volume is...

Turn it in a reactor...what? I dont have a filter...just a refugium and a protein skimmer...
And some SWEET lights that I put on my tank last night!! I haven't started leaving them on yet though, cause I know they're gonna just kick up this crap algae that I dont want...

I added POLY OX from Kent yesterday...and the algae wasn't as blooming today as it has been...so it's stopped it from growing as far as i can tell so far
Old 04-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Shouldn't the refuge help with the PO4?

Anyways, I run a small HOB filter with Phosban as the filter media to make sure that my PO4 is in check
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer
Marineland penguin HOB Filter
4x65w PCF

FISH
1 - Percula, 1 - Blue-Yellowtail Damsel, 3 - Green reef Chromis

Inverts
Rose Annenome; Anchor Coral
john0087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

where does po4 even come from? I know the refugium helps with nirtrates....other than that I dont know.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

PO4 comes from mineralization. Basically anyting that is rotting in the tank. It cam also be in tap water.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

yea it's probably some crap rotting in the water then. It is still a fairly new tank. I've only had my LR in the tank for about 3 weeks. It wasn't real stinky when i got it though, and I had it in a big bucket in my garage and did large water changes about every day or two for the first three or so, and then smaller ones...it was only curing out there for about ten days or so.

So there's probaly LR poo fallin off that....I'd add some pics but it's basically just rocks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com