Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-15-2005, 03:40 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The biggest problem i've encountered thus far in the SW hobby is being patient. I constantly want to do things sooner and faster than i should because i'm too excited about adding a new fish, or getting some cool invert without researching possible problems with them and etc. Nothing good comes from doing things fast in this hobby. YOu really have to learn to be patient. And so far, that's been my biggest challenge. I've already made some dumb decisions and had to learn the hard way from it. So if there's anything i can tell you it's just that.....be patient (even more so than you were with your FW tanks).

Old 12-15-2005, 04:22 PM   #12

I thought anaerobic bacteria was bad? That is why we always suggest in Freshwater to stir up the sand or get something that will stir it up... to prevent anaerobic pockets from forming.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole
I thought anaerobic bacteria was bad? That is why we always suggest in Freshwater to stir up the sand or get something that will stir it up... to prevent anaerobic pockets from forming.
there's a fine line with the DSB. You don't want to make it too deep or too shallow. 4-6 inches is the range you want to be in. A DSB will break down nitrates into harmless nitrogen gas which will then harmlessly escape out of the tank. This is the point of a DSB. You want the pockets to form so it breaks down the nitrates. It's disturbing those pockets that will release toxins into your system. Hence why sand sifting organisms are bad.

here's an article i found on dsb's: http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm
Old 12-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #14

so... with the protein skimmer removing Organic compounds, and with a DSB converting the nitrates... im guessing that you would do less PWC in a SW than FW... since in FW you don't have anything to convert the nitrates ... unless you have live plants (as in my 10 gallon) They continue to build up. For example in my 10 gallon planted my nitrates are never over 10, but in my 55 gallon they sometimes get up around 20-40 if i don't keep up with regular water changes.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
so... with the protein skimmer removing Organic compounds, and with a DSB converting the nitrates... im guessing that you would do less PWC in a SW than FW... since in FW you don't have anything to convert the nitrates ... unless you have live plants (as in my 10 gallon) They continue to build up. For example in my 10 gallon planted my nitrates are never over 10, but in my 55 gallon they sometimes get up around 20-40 if i don't keep up with regular water changes.
right. In many ways, a fowlr setup can be easy to care for once you've done your research and have some experience with doing it. I always have a nitrate and nitrite reading of 0. My ammonia hardly ever reads above zero. And alls i do is a 10-15% PWC a week. and empty my skimmer. I have lots of inverts to help clean up the dendrites and excess food. My LR is the main filter of my tank. All the millions of live organisms on the rock filter the water naturally so i don't have to. SW tanks aren't harder to care for IMO. They're just much more involved and complicated to understand and maintain. Once you figure it out it's not that hard to care for. It sort of takes care of itself as long as you do the PWC's.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:12 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If I were you. I would first sit down and figure out which fish/corals you'd like to have. What you decide you want to keep is going to guide you through the process. If you want corals, things are going to get a little bit more complicated. I would suggest doing a fowlr set-up to begin with unless you're feeling up to it.

Once you know which fish you're going to have, you need to plan your set up.
1. where is the tank going to sit in your house? Is the floor going to support it?
2. get lighting. If you ever plan on getting corals....just get the MH's to begin with so you don't waste your money on PC lighting.
3. DSB or CC or etc...
4. sump or no sump
5. 1-2 lbs of LR per gallon. Where are you going to get it and are you going to use a mix of base rock and LR?
6. skimmer, a Remora would work nice for a 55g
7. salt mixes. Just get the 160g mix that comes in the 5 gallon buckets. It's cheaper that way.
8. clean up crew.
9. heaters
10. chillers
11. fuge or no fuge
12. nitrate export (cheato)
13. which return pump if you use a sump.

The list goes on.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Yup. If you're keeping corals, you're shooting for very very low nitrates, anything over 5ppm is bad news, hence the various methods of nitrate reducing. A skimmer removes waste before the waste can decompose fully into nitrates, which helps. A DSB looks ugly in a main tank, I'd recommend it in a sump or the "DSB in bucket" approach. A refugium growing macro algae such as chaeto is also an excellent route.

If you want to run sumpless, I'd recommend a good chunk of live rock and several (2+) MaxiJet 1200 powerheads to get a nice flow going in the tank. A Remora Pro HOB skimmer is a decent choice here as well.

And if you're buying lighting, don't go halfway, go all the way (T5 with induvidual reflectors, or metal halide). I've had to rebuy lighting, which is expensive

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:28 AM   #18

why would a deep sand bed look ugly? I have a good 3-4 inch layer of gravel in my big tank and 3-4 inches of sand in my 10 gallon.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:33 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just personal opinion. You get less fish & coral view, and instead this dark thick rim on the bottom. At 5" its really apparent. I use about 2" in my tank

xenia, mushrooms, wels. open brain, fungia radiata (orange), green eyed zoos

flame angel, mated pair of false perc, 6-line, firefish

20gH electric yellow cichlid
theatrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com