Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-17-2004, 05:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Old 29G tank. Is it safe for a Reef?

My friend gave me his 29G tank setup which I would like to use as a reef tank. My question is....

Will the tank be able to hold the weight of 40-50lbs of sand and 30-60lbs of rock?

The tank doesn't have a center brace along the bottom which I have seen some tanks have. The cabinet the tank sits on is open on the top and doesn't have anything to support the bottom glass. Is the glass stronger than I think or do I need to build a base that will support the glass.

The tank measures: 30x12x19

Here are some pics.

You know its good if Dan built it. lol

ringwurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 05:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via ICQ to Sati Send a message via AIM to Sati Send a message via MSN to Sati Send a message via Yahoo to Sati
As far as I know the bottom pane of glass would not even touch the shelf if you were to build one in. Only the plastic frame will be touching so as long as it's level and supported all the way around it should be fine.

If it's an old tank that hasn't been used in a while you might want to check for leaks.

Holly ~

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
on acrylic tanks, the floor must rest on something flat. Glass tanks are exactly the opposite. They are designed to only sit on the rim of the tank. That is why the cabinet is open on the top. Just flush it up w/ the sides and you should be good to go.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

29 gallon, reef, safe, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com