Old 29G tank. Is it safe for a Reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringwurm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My friend gave me his 29G tank setup which I would like to use as a reef tank. My question is....

Will the tank be able to hold the weight of 40-50lbs of sand and 30-60lbs of rock?

The tank doesn't have a center brace along the bottom which I have seen some tanks have. The cabinet the tank sits on is open on the top and doesn't have anything to support the bottom glass. Is the glass stronger than I think or do I need to build a base that will support the glass.

The tank measures: 30x12x19

Greg

Here are some pics.
tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

You know its good if Dan built it. lol

stand.jpg

As far as I know the bottom pane of glass would not even touch the shelf if you were to build one in. Only the plastic frame will be touching so as long as it's level and supported all the way around it should be fine.

If it's an old tank that hasn't been used in a while you might want to check for leaks.

on acrylic tanks, the floor must rest on something flat. Glass tanks are exactly the opposite. They are designed to only sit on the rim of the tank. That is why the cabinet is open on the top. Just flush it up w/ the sides and you should be good to go.

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom