Old Castle Play sand does it need to be washed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought 200# of playsand to set up my 150 gallon tank do I need to wash it or do anything to it before placing it in the tank of course I will be cycling the tank before adding anything my understanding is the best way for cycling is put the sand in add water and salt start the filter system up and place a couple of dead shrimp in the tank and let them decompose let the Amonia go up and then when it drops back to normal I can add some live rock and a couple of fish does this sound correct?

It does not need to be washed first.

Ammonia and nitrites have to be zero before adding any livestock. Here is an article that does some explaining:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

A Google search for the "nitrogen cycle" would give even more information to browse. Even after the tank is "cycled", I would wait even a month or two longer before adding fish to allow the tank to further mature...there are more processes establishing themselves then just the nitrogen cycle.

I would add the LR when you start the cycle unless your buying cured lr. LR can have die off if shipped and the die off can cause a new cycle.

I would agree with seaham.

here's how I would start a new tank.

Mix your saltwater out of the tank.
Add the sand to a dry tank
add the mixed water, let the cloudiness settle (and I agree with hoops that it doesn't need to be rinsed, you want the fine tiny particles)
then add the LR and depending on the amount of die off, a shrimp to kick off the cycle.

good luck!

Hope that's the right kind of playsand. I tried silica sand in a FW tank, and it was horrid. I had a lot of trapped anaerobic pockets, that MTS didn't even help stir up enough to prevent them.

Silica sand does not seem to have a negative impact on a reef tank (only real impact is that it does not provide a buffer as dissolving aragonite would). I know several people with large tanks and DSB's of silica that have been up for years...the difference may be the wider variety of critters in a sw tank as opposed to your FW with MTS only.

could be hoops. I just know with hind sight being 20/20, I'm glad I spent a little extra for Aragamax sand.

i've heard though that some sand sifting critters don't do well in silica sand. Any info on that?

Don't blame ya....I've had the luxury of always having Southdown available (don't know lately) and would probably consider paying more just for the pure white color.

I have no actual reports available, mostly anecdotal heresay similar to what you have heard. I'm trying to connect some info from Shimek that some critters do not like the sharp edges and do not function/breed well but I am not sure if it was his statements. With the mostly finite critters that live in our tanks (need for "recharging" the sand, etc.) I do not know if this (some critters not liking silica) is that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. Kieron started with a silica sandbed in his 180g...not sure what his opinion or knowledge would be.

Back
Top Bottom